Horten Ho-IX Gotha Go 229 o Ho 229.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomar View Post
Even Northrop, with the full backing of millions of dollars and lots of B-35 and B-49 prototypes to play with never produced a usable bomber.

FlyboyJActually that's arguable - Depending who you talk to the YB-49 could have been deployed. During flight testing there were conflicting reports on whether it was a stable bombing platform or not. Northrop later admitted he was being pressured by the former Sec. of War (His name escapes me) to merge with Convair. As a result Convair got the B-36 contract and Northrop got the F-89 program as a consolation prize. The man that tried to get Northrop to merge with Convair later became their president.

I just got done reading a back issue of Flight Journal from several years ago where one of the leading test pilots (his name escapes me right now) of the YB-49 was interviewed, and he basically makes the same points you posted. In his opinion, the YB-49 was a very stable platform, and was suitable for service IRCC. He also states in his words, the YB-49 was not able to be picked up on radar. It was due to the situation you alluded too with the politics of the merger of between Northrop and Convair that the YB-49 was not pressed forward.
A great story in itself.

It was known almost from the get go that a flying wing configuration would naturaly have a low radar signature and when modern radar avoiding aircraft were being developed there were many artist conceptions showing a flying wing. Remember the cancelled A-12?

300px-A-12_Avenger_Concept.jpg

Wasn't the future president of Convair's name Stimson? I think I recall reading something about his back room dealings with Convair when he was Secretary of War and trying to get Jack Northrop to "merge" with Convair. When Jack said no, the YB-49 was scrapped almost on the spot.

Please tell me you're not actually believing in this Nazi UFO crap you posted up there.
You mean their flying wings?

Horten Walter 1929.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjXr5w3M4mc
Reimar Horten notes: To keep the frontal dimension to a minimum, we decided to put the pilot in a reclining position in our project.
Horten Ho-IIM.

Horten Ho-Vb y Ho-Vc.

Indiana Jones Titaniums! Check out the Orthographic that I illustrated for the recently released Indiana Jones German Flying Wing Titanium from Hasbro!

Horten flying wing of the Ark did not exist Requested.
Greetings and a hug juanjose15.

No, no. I mean the "bell project" flying saucer stuff that is shown in those videos posted.
Flying discs aren't that far out of the realm of reality, since there were a few projects going on during WWII, and post-war. It wouldn't surprise me if there were even more being worked on that we didn't know about.

The Luftwaffe's Sack AS6 was one such concept that really didn't work out, and if it weren't for a few photos surviving the war, very few people would have known about it. In 1944, it was damaged in a test flight after it's landing gear failed, then it was strafed on the ground by allied planes. After that, it was stripped for it's wood and when the airfield was over-run by allied troops, the remaining metal parts were tossed into the scrap heap and lost forever.

There was also the Vought XF-5U project sometimes called the "Flying Flapjack" which was eventually cancelled in 1947. As well as the "Black Projects" conducted by Lockheed and Convair which were trying to develop disc-shaped VTOL aircraft.

The "Black Projects" were the same line of thinking as Avro, who developed the VZ-9 "Avrocar", which was eventually turned over to...Bell Aircraft...

So there were actually "flying saucers" out there! :lol:

All of the projects you mention are in essence ordinary aircraft, except for the Avrocar. But there is no indication the Germans were ever far in utilizing the Coandă effect.
Anf the bell is supposed to have a magical "antigrav" zero-point-energy propulsion system. Of course there is ZERO evidence for it. I know that doesn't stop the believers from believing, just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back