How good are modern Russian Jet compared to western designs?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Grippen is 55% made out of US components - Swedes are unable to sell this airplane without permission from US.....
I do not know about details. I just know that there were a series of talkings about "renewals" in AF, from bases to air defence systems, radars and anything else.

And surely all of these "visits" were happened bu US's Green Light, otherwise, no country would let "outsiders", or even "compatriots" to active military sites, airbases included.

I more wonder how Russian fighters compare to their Chinese knock-offs. I suspect the student has surpassed the master.

Su-27 vs. Shenyang J-11
Su-30 vs. Shenyang J-16

Not related, but Chengdu J-20 vs. Sukhoi Su-57?

I more wonder how Russian fighters compare to their Chinese knock-offs. I suspect the student has surpassed the master.

Su-27 vs. Shenyang J-11
Su-30 vs. Shenyang J-16

try to compare J-20 with MiG 1.44 - not exactly the same but similarities are "easily noticeable" i would say...
Probably each of pairs has advantages and similarities as well differences. But i will be surprised if this is like striking differences. Probably Russians and Chinese are sharing many the same problems - outdated engines (with key technologies located in Ukraine), quality issues which is resulting in problems with stealth technology implementation. Probably russians are slightly better in radar stuff (i mean analog part of radar gear), IR detectors and A/A weapon but Chinese presenting much higher level in a term of software and navigation equipment - by the way - i wouldn't call Air Data News website very credible source of information - especially in this matter.

"I suspect the student has surpassed the master."

In the end it's all about resources. China GDP is 10-12x that of Russia. Although china devotes only 5% GDP to defense vs more than 10% for Russia. China defense budged is 4-5x that of Russia.
The only aspect where China still lags behind is engines, but i guess its a matter of time.

Su-27 vs. Shenyang J-11
Su-30 vs. Shenyang J-16

A colleague who once worked for a not-to-be-named intelligence agency commented to me that Chinese avionics and human factors considerations in their Flanker reworks are a full generation ahead of their Russian counterparts. The J-11 and J-16 have cockpits stuffed full of MFDs and their avionics are - reportedly - mostly derived from Western civil systems from the late 1990s/early 2000s. They also have some structural differences - more composites and some internal structure changes - which cut several hundred kgs in weight from the airframes.

The big unknown for me are the engines (Shenyang WS-10). China has struggled for a long time with issues around thrust, reliability and operating life. The WS-10 is based off the core architecture of the CFM56, a 1980s civil airliner engine which is about as reliable as they come, and some other technology borrowed from the AL-31.

The WS-10 has been in development for better than 30 years at this point. The initial versions were reputed to have TBOs as low as 30 to 40 hours (mostly because of problems with erosion/disintegration of fan blades and production quality issues), engine lives under 200 hours and demanded as many as 15 man hours of maintenance for every hour of flight.

China reportedly 'borrowed' fan blade technology from Rolls-Royce in the mid 2010s, which has solved some of the problems. But, even the more mature WS-10B and WS-10C are reported to be maintenance hogs. Last I read, the WS-10B was roughly at AL-31FM reliability levels - i.e. about the same as an engine developed in the Soviet Union in the 1970s and reworked in Russia during the 1990s. Ballpark figures of life before rebuild of anywhere between 250 to 400 hours and full engine life of 1000 to 2000 hours.

A colleague who once worked for a not-to-be-named intelligence agency commented to me that Chinese avionics and human factors considerations in their Flanker reworks are a full generation ahead of their Russian counterparts. The J-11 and J-16 have cockpits stuffed full of MFDs and their avionics are - reportedly - mostly derived from Western civil systems from the late 1990s/early 2000s. They also have some structural differences - more composites and some internal structure changes - which cut several hundred kgs in weight from the airframes.

The big unknown for me are the engines (Shenyang WS-10). China has struggled for a long time with issues around thrust, reliability and operating life. The WS-10 is based off the core architecture of the CFM56, a 1980s civil airliner engine which is about as reliable as they come, and some other technology borrowed from the AL-31.

The WS-10 has been in development for better than 30 years at this point. The initial versions were reputed to have TBOs as low as 30 to 40 hours (mostly because of problems with erosion/disintegration of fan blades and production quality issues), engine lives under 200 hours and demanded as many as 15 man hours of maintenance for every hour of flight.

China reportedly 'borrowed' fan blade technology from Rolls-Royce in the mid 2010s, which has solved some of the problems. But, even the more mature WS-10B and WS-10C are reported to be maintenance hogs. Last I read, the WS-10B was roughly at AL-31FM reliability levels - i.e. about the same as an engine developed in the Soviet Union in the 1970s and reworked in Russia during the 1990s. Ballpark figures of life before rebuild of anywhere between 250 to 400 hours and full engine life of 1000 to 2000 hours.
Sharing components and solution between military and commercial engines is nothing unusual. Especially cfm-56 is father of at least two families of military engines - F110 and M88. Everything comes to the very tiny details in the engine design - simply coping large components will not work - magic is buried in materials, design of cooling system, ACC, structural resonance and surge preventing, and in general engine control system - coping of this in simple reverse engineering process is close to impossible - of course you may learn this on your own mistakes but it will consume serious amount of time and equally reasonable amount of money...

Sharing components and solution between military and commercial engines is nothing unusual.

I wasn't implying that it was. What is unusual is for country to base an engine on another that they don't (nominally) possess the intellectual property for.

Especially cfm-56 is father of at least two families of military engines - F110 and M88.

And the core technology of theCFM56 itself is an outgrowth of an earlier military engine - the F101.

Everything comes to the very tiny details in the engine design - simply coping large components will not work - magic is buried in materials, design of cooling system, ACC, structural resonance and surge preventing, and in general engine control system - coping of this in simple reverse engineering process is close to impossible - of course you may learn this on your own mistakes but it will consume serious amount of time and equally reasonable amount of money...

Totally agree. Which is one of the reasons that the WS-10 had such a prolonged gestation. Reverse engineering something as demanding as a high bypass turbofan is not a remotely simple task, even for civil applications.

Then again, building a new engine from scratch is also difficult. The CJ-1000 for the C919 started development about 2010 and is unlikely to see certification until 2025 or 2026 (even with an accelerated test programme).

I find it amazing that at least a hundred thousand families in Russia have seen their sons killed or wounded and no one is marching on the Kremlin. When the Kursk went down there were riots in Russia and Putin himself was at risk. Nowadays, nothing?

To be fair, the laws governing dissent and free expression in Russia are much more rigorous now compared to then --partly as a result of the pushback regarding the loss of Kursk.

I find it amazing that at least a hundred thousand families in Russia have seen their sons killed or wounded and no one is marching on the Kremlin. When the Kursk went down there were riots in Russia and Putin himself was at risk. Nowadays, nothing?
Russia was a very different country back then. Worth reading this interview to lawyer Boris Kuznetsov. He represented the families of 55 of the drowned Kursk seamen. Now he has political asylum in the United States.

When a visibly rattled Putin met with the wives and families of Kursk seamen on August 22, 2000, no one was afraid to scream at him and accuse him of incompetence or worse. That encounter may have been "the worst moment" of Putin's life -- and he immediately set out to make sure he would never face anything like it again.

How good can a MiG-29/35 get?

The Indian MiG-29UPG looks sharp, for example.

Then there's the MiG-29SMT

Here's a glass MiG-35 cockpit.

MIG35.jpg

And an old tech Ukrainian MiG-29.

53345_1370642560.jpg

Last edited:
Are there any fundamental problem with the designs of MiG-29 and SU-27? Why do they tend to underperformed(Newer SU-27 variants have less payload than equivalent F-15 variants etc.),Or is it more about lack of updates(too little composite,Outdated engines tech,Subpar avionics etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back