How has this site changed / affirmed some of your opinions of WWII aircraft? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Which would include uncorroborated 1st person testimony in books, I presume. ;)

Yes memory is faulty and editors often miss things as well. I recently read an autobiography that contained several bloopers even though it had only been written in the 1960s 10 years after the fact. They were minor and only a history geek like myself would have spotted them but they were the sort of facts that would lead to flame wars and the banstick on this forum if they had involved WWII aircraft.

While I adore the Spitfire I may have to concede that she was not always the undefeated champion of the sky.
Like others I am in awe of the sheer depth of knowledge on this site and the willingness to share with others.
I have had a break and am back determined to learn more about other aircraft....not necessarily British ones either.
Sharp intake of breath? yes, I know....
Cheers
John

Something to consider with first person accounts. Not only may the tellers memory be a bit faulty, it may be 100% accurate BUT the information told to/received by them all those years ago may NOT have been 100% accurate. What happened to a pilot (or mechanic) may have happened just as he tells it. WHY it happened, or the tactical/strategic (or even supply) situation may not have been as he understood it to be at the time.

AS an example many BoB pilots may recall when their Spitfires/Hurricanes were refitted with constant speed propellers in their squadrons, they may not know when the testing/approval was done or when the propellers were actually ordered. Some of them were not out of flight school when the constant speed propellers were tested and ordered. Yet there is a "legend" backed up by memories of the pilots/mechanics of the Propellers being fitted at the last minute (ok, a few weeks) before the BoB started. The Pilots (and Mechanics) are right, the Propellers were fitted just a short time before the Bob but the actual work (testing and manufacture) started many months earlier.

Yes memory is faulty and editors often miss things as well. I recently read an autobiography that contained several bloopers even though it had only been written in the 1960s 10 years after the fact. They were minor and only a history geek like myself would have spotted them but they were the sort of facts that would lead to flame wars and the banstick on this forum if they had involved WWII aircraft.
With that, you got me right there in your pocket. Let's carry on. We can do this. :)

Some opinions confirmed or embellished and some shaken by revelations provided by forum members. For example, I came to the forum with some rather strong negative opinions about MacArthur and the early PI campaign. Discussions here mellowed my perspective but most important, motivated me to read some very interesting histories which I wouldn't have known about but for recommendation by folks in the forum, especially books by William Bartsch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back