How to do Italian desert camo? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, after a quick search I found this info...

Now onto the kit colours:-
Those reported in the instructions are accurate: it is true! Indeed the kit depicts a first half 1943 machine of the so-called "Raggruppamento Aerosilurante" of 252^ Sq., 104° Gruppo Autonomo, Siena/Ampugnano based (torpedo-bomber group, 252 Squadron, 104 solo-wing). These machines were painted to blend into the sea due their torpedo-bomber role (the boxart illustrated is too much conspicuous when viewed from above, being sand-yellow painted!). If you are concerned about this I suggest these colours should be as follows:
• Top surfaces: "grigio mimetico 1" (camouflage grey No1) FS. 36231 (e.g. Humbrol 140) overall, plus
• "verde oliva scuro 1" (dark olive green No1) FS. 34086 (e.g. Humbrol 141) mottle, to give camouflage effect (*);
• Undersides: "grigio-azzurro chiaro 1" (slate blue-grey No1) FS. 36307 (e.g. Humbrol 66);
• The "Regia Aeronautica"'s insignia are quite accurate and usable, so the kit is O.K. And enjoiable!

If this is the scheme you are doing then the first and third colours are the easy ones, Camouflage Grey top and Slate blue-grey bottom surfaces, brush painted.
The second colour Dark Olive Green,will require a bit more care, as this is a mottle colour.
Let me have a think about the mottle colour and try a few methods to see what might work.

I think you can use this kind of a brush for eyeshadow which has at the top of it a piece of a sponge and a pattern (mask) with spot-shaped openings.This method in Poland is called "tupowanie"

Attachments

• eyeshadow_brush.jpg
    eyeshadow_brush.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 167

Users who are viewing this thread

Back