How to find my Grandpa's unit from his service papers?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

csteimel47591

Airman
Oct 17, 2011
Greetings,
My Grandpa died about 10 years ago.

Recently I've acquired his service papers and would like to go back and find out where he fought. From what I've heard there's quite a story behind him. I paid for the ancestory.com thing to see if it could find him but I got nothing.

I know he lied when he was 16 to join the army to get away from family problems. Also, I know he suffered problems from cold exposure from the war which caused problems late in his life. My mom says he served in both theaters but I'm not sure if this is true. He told me stories about his buddy using a flamethower on the japs when I was a wee kid, so I guess it makes sense; cold in Europe flame thrower in the Pacific...?

He ended up meeingt a lady who was in charge of tobacco/alcohol/candy.etc and started boot-legging it to the soldiers. Eventually he got caught and was thrown in prison until the war ended and was released when Truman pardoned all the soldiers imprisoned for things during the war.

Maybe this "background" will provide some clues as to where I should look?

I'd really like to find out more about him. Like I've said, I've got his "service" papers but I don't know how to use them to find anything. I was hoping some of the ww2 buffs on here could help me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back