How to get special decals made?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

parsifal

Colonel
Apr 6, 2008
Orange NSW
Im doing my research for the next GB, and was thinking of doing something a bit unusual. An MS 406 based in Indochina 1941.

Its a subject i dont know a lot about, but its interesting because its unual. I have some good reference material, one of which is attached, (see Morane-Saulnier MS.406 | modelscalecom )and its reasonably easy to get a model of the little Morane, but I would need to get the decals made up for this one.

Who does special order decals, and what information do i need to supply? Anyone got any ideas?

Simple decals can often be made yourself. If you have a good quality, high res profile, you can scan it and manipulate the image to isolate and scale the part you want and then print it onto decal paper using a laser or ink jet printer. This can be done with something as basic as MS Paint. Decal paper can be obtained at hobby shops or craft stores.

If you are artistic and have something like Photoshop and don't have an artist's profile, you can create the decal "freehand" based on photos but that takes talent.

The downside of printing your own decals with basic equipment, and something that I have not been able to solve myself, is that the colour density is not as good as decals printed using specialty printers, most commonly an ALPS printer. The only contact I have in the business is Mike Grant (also a member here) Welcome to Mike Grant Decals but I'm pretty sure he's not doing custom decals anymore as "one offs" can be more pricey than most people are willing to pay. I know others on this forum might have contacts who can help you out.

Here's the best home made decal I've been able to accomplish, to give you an idea of the density issues:

1210193.jpg

Last edited:
The emblem you can find in the decal sheet of the Aero Master Decals 1:48 MS-406 Fighting Moranes Part 2 #48-455

LOMimg1693.jpg

LOMimg1694.jpg

The white number for underwigs you may get completed when using the decal sheet Carpena - Nr. 48.19 Morane Saulnier MS 406 Part 1
http://flightdecs.ca/a_Capena 48.htm

CA48020.jpg

and/or the BERNA MILITARY AIRCRAFT DECALS http://flightdecs.ca/A_berna_48.htm

BER48064.jpg

BER48063.jpg

Last edited:
I really should undertake this build in 1/48 I guess. Not my normal build size, and a bit more expensive, but the decals are there, all laid out and ready.

Ive always had a bit of a soft spot for french aircraft, so maybe I will bite the bullet and do this build in 1/48

I havent got one yet, but I did find Hasegawa 1/72 Kit 51319 available and online. It will cost $35 AU to my doorstep. Thats about what you have to pay for kits in Australia that arent "mainstream".

The next thing, unrelated to the decal issue, is the rather complex camo scheme these french a/c seem to have. I will have to prcatice on scrap i think, but as a starting point, there apears to be a blue grey, a brown and a green in that scheme. Any ideas of what tamiya acrylics colours would be the closest to those rather unique hues that I can see. I admit that I have not done my due diligence in this, so only answer if you feel like it.

These hues aren't unique rather. The camo colours are quite standard for the Armee de l'Air at that time. The only additional ones are the yellow/red strips on the engine cowling used as markings of La France de Vichy.

Colours :

1. Brun foncé (Chocolate Brown) - XF10
2. Vert foncé (Dark Green ) - XF61 or Khaki - XF51
3. Gris-bleu foncé (Dark Blue-Grey) - XF18
4. Gris-bleu clair (Light Blue-Grey) - XF23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back