How would YOU fly?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Whatcha reckon Lanc, a Mk.XVIII Mossie with the Molins cannon and rockets ?...More versatile than a B-25, eh?...

but it's proven that that mossie was the second most versatile aircraft of the war, and the Ju88 was the most versatile, not the B-25, so yes, i do think the mossie was more versatile than the B-25.........................

But not the 57mm cannon;)

A B-25 did very well for its self thanks. So why not be a glider pilot!

A bf 109 over the Battle of France, then I would not get shot down that much :)

Lanc- I was close yes? Do you know of any operations the Mk. XVIII had?

Kiwimac -the Re 2005 was a very promising plane, but it was built in very small numbers and only flew operationaly for a few months but it did fly a little longer in the hands of Germans and Italians in the North. ;)

There were only two real FB varients, the XVIII and the VI. The XVIII was never massed produced because the VI could carry rockets which were just as effective as the 57mm gun, retain the rear bombay, and the 4 20mm and 4.303s were a much more versatile armament.

They also had a 37mm Molins in Mk.XVIII's, both were used particuarly for U-boat attacks to hole the submerging conning-towers...Rockets were more for ships...

Well, basically, there were 4 specific versions, photo-recon, night-fighter, bomber, and fighter-bomber. There were something like 40 subtypes developed but all of these were designed for one of the 4 roles mentioned above.

Yeah, there was I believe, 43 different variants, and this was only superceded by the Ju-88. The Mk.XVIII was a rare version, only 18, including the prototype were built from FB.VI fuselages. Most served with RAF 248 Sqn. Prior to fitting the Molins, they'd actually done a feasibility study [successfully], using the much heavier 3.7 inch [94mm] gun, but the Molins proved effective indeed, it's 7.11 lb shell were tipped with hardened steel and had no trouble entering a U-boat's hull and creating havoc. - They were called the 'TSE-TSE' because they had a bigger bite than normal Mosquitos, worked from Predannack in Cornwall from Oct'43, over the Bay of Biscay, then from Banff in Scotland after helping-out during D-Day landings, carrying-out many successful attacks on German shipping installations in Norway; a truly grunty aircraft...[rare, like all thoroughbreds...]

Attachments

• mosquito_mk.xviii_-_tse-tse.jpg
    mosquito_mk.xviii_-_tse-tse.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 898
Thanks. :) It is just a little trippy reading all the different Marks. Different fro the USAAC or USN that it seems would have two or three different aircraft. LIke using the P-40 when the P-47 was much its better. I do not still know why P-40 prduction was so high as the P-47 and P-51 were comming online. Any help there would be great! ;)

And the P-40 was a known quality. It wasn't a great fighter, but it worked. And a lot of the P-40s produced during the war were going to other countries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back