Huey shotgun (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

maxmwill

Airman 1st Class
Apr 18, 2011
A very long time ago, I read an article of a weapon system that was tested on a Huey which consisted of a box with 1200 rounds that was fired all at once, as a landing site suppression system, but was not adopted by the Army. In essence, this was a 1200 round shotgun.

What was the designation of that?

It was the XM215 - which was assembled from four XM55 "Counter Ambush Barrage Weapon System" units, the XM55 was designed for being mounting on convoy trucks.

The XM215 weapon was comprised of 306 barrels, each being .22 caliber and were preloaded with a single M26 ball round per barrel.

Several issues arose during testing, one of which being that the propwash from the main rotor affected accuracy, plus there were those that were concerned that a single volley from the weapon may jeopardize friendly personnel in the area, too.

Here's the XM215 system mounted on the nose of a test-ship.

image.jpg

Thank you. I couldn't remember the designation, and wanted to ask.

A few years ago, I had wanted to build a model of this, and had bought a pair of 148 Monogram Huey Hogs with the idea of building this with one of the kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back