Huey's last hurrah (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wasn't to far off I used the same source I guess the continental engine didn't quite work out as I'm having trouble finding info on it but the PT6 is still going strong

Exactly FBJ. That is what I allways thought. I studied the Huey with great vigor from the time I was a child.

Hell I grew up with the Huey. My father flew them. When other kids were going to the pool on summer vacation I was at the hanger wearing my dads flight helmet sitting in the cockpit and pretending I was flying the UH-1H.

I got to see if I can get some of the pictures off of my dad when I go to visit next time.

Kinda like the Merlin and the P51
In 1964 Bell further developed the model 205 by introducing a twin engine design. Known as the model 208, this featured the 1,240hp Continental XT67-T-1 powerplant, which consisted of two T72-T-2 turboshafts (each of which could support the aircraft) coupled through a gear box to a single driveshaft. The increase in performance and safety was attractive, and in 1968 the Canadian armed forces ordered what would be the model 212. The prototype flew in April 1969, powered by the 1,290 PWC PT-6T-3 powerplant. Delivery of 50 aircraft to Canada began in 1971. Later models utilised the PT-6T-3B. The model 212 was also adopted by the US military as the UH-1N. Delivery to the USAF of what would be 70 airframes began in 1971, while the USN and USMC took 221 aircraft. The VH-1N VIP transport (2 new-built and 6 conversions) is a variant. The model 212 received civil certification on June 30,1971, a 14 passenger version having been developed in parallel to the UH-1N. The large capacity and twin engine safety has made it popular with many operators in the medium lift, oil rig support and other roles. Augusta in Italy have license built the civil model AB212, as well as developing the maritime AB212ASW model. The model 412 is a development of the model 212, primarily distinguished by a four bladed rotor. Having first flown in August 1979 and been certified in February 1980, the first deliveries were made in January the following year. The aircraft is produced under license by Augusta as the AB412, and the Griffon military version. The type is also produced in Indonesia

I am just glad I still get to see this beauty flying over here in Germany regularly as the it is still widely used by the German Heer and Luftwaffe and were liscensed built by Dornier.

I used to be able to tell when they flew over the house different then all the Hughes and Bell 407's I've got overhead consistently . We used the single Huey as a base rescue bird on fighter bases only and the Twins were for the "gravel techs" The single was called the CH118 and the twin was the CH135

I am just glad I still get to see this beauty flying over here in Germany regularly as the it is still widely used by the German Heer and Luftwaffe and were liscensed built by Dornier.

That's awesome. It's still a capable aircraft. There are several Huey drivers in my helo squadron now. With all the added comm/nav equipment, and other upgrades they are quite portly. Common problem prevalent in many older aircraft. I've heard stories of pilots routinely bouncing them on the skids to get above translational lift so they can takeoff.

I'm excited about the Yankee, and think it will be a great upgrade for the HMLA squadrons. I actually wanted to fly Hueys, but then I got assigned to the MV-22. But hell - I ain't complaining.

I was working on a program where we were going to offer an easy conversion kit where a PT6 installed on a King Air could be removed and with little modification be placed on a UH-1 in the twin pack configuration. When Pratt found out what we were looking to do they said they wouldn't support the program and we would have to deal with them though a distributor. My employer at the time backed out of the program...

I'd be interested if your books or knowledge of the Huey could clear this up for me . I had a number of PWC employees in my neighbour hood in Montreal at the time late 60's and thats where i picked up my knowledge of the Twin Huey. I could be totally wrong but would like to know the facts

I do know Bell and Pratt Canada have always worked together to ensure that "something" was going on in Canada since a lion's share of both company's business was north of the border and I think that's one of the reasons why the Jet Ranger is built in Mirabel and the PT6 at Longueuil. There's a lot of good "offset" work between the 2 companies on both sides of the border. Although Pratt and Bell Canada seem to do their own thing, be rest assured all shots are being made from Texas and Connecticut respectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back