Hunting and rifles..... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have a Nagant,refinished the stock,bore is clean, plenty of aftermarket stuff for that one also. Real soft shooter..

Last time I was at the range (been a while now, still can't shoulder a rifle since the wreck), there was a "feller" who had recently moved out here from back east (the south, I assume from his accent)...he was having a great time target shooting with his (and I quote) "Mossy Nugget"...

It took me a little while to figure out that he wasn't joking, he actually thought a Mosin Nagant was called a "Mossy Nugget".

I would say most of them would work fine. I like the Mouser and the Enfield and Springfield. The German 7mm is a nice round as is the 30.06. The only tissue I would have on most is weight. Most WwI and II rifles can be pretty pricy for what you get and I can get a Remington model 700 7mm mag at Wally World (wal-mart) for around $350-$380 US, a M-1 will run me $800 to $1200 + depending on condition and were I buy it? the Remington weighs a third again less. Weight is good for holding recoil but sucks to hike with. For what it's worth.

I once had a Mauser 98 action with a supreme barrel.
Rechambered to a 308 Norma magnum, Leopold scope.
Custom rollover oak oak stock. Glass bedded.

How about this Enfield No. 4 MKI (T) bolt action with sniper scope? Useful? Dependable?

14553522_1_zpslopnfbl7.jpg

good old No4, learned to shoot with one, before progressing to the L1 A1.......sigh, those were the days !

Last edited:
There's tons of rifles I'd rather hunt with than old military rifles(I have a Sako 75 Finnlight in a .300wsm and a Winnie in a .270 both will cover just about anything that I will hunt in North America) but there is a charm and I'm sure fun in knowing you scored with a piece of history..

in west virginia you can hunt with a semi auto. a lot of the guys down there went nuts over chinese SKS' back in the mid 90s. it seemed to be the weapon of choice for backwoods boys. besides being cheap..it was short enough to lug through the brush and the 762x39 had enough "umpf" to bust brush and bring down a deer. unless you are sitting on a power line ( they are clear cut for their entire length ) or on a farmers field..you are not going to get a shot over 40-50 yards around here. they worked in the jungles so they do ok here...

Yeah that would be cool to drag something out,nothing I hate worse thou is sitting at a good spot then hearing some jerk put putting near you,might as well kiss the hunt goodbye and go get breakfast.

I think that's to give a quadder a false sense that he has a sled(snow mobile), though it's probably cheaper than owning both. Truth is though, I work with guys who have both and two or three of each.

Geo

Those tracked ATVs do pretty well in the snow, and can turn alot tighter than it appears.

The company I worked for uses a Snowcat (old Thiokol Imp) to service mountain-top radio repeaters, and the tracked ATV is popular with many other companies that have a need to get to mountain-tops for work. The problem with the ATV over a Snowcat is the ability to carry supplies, equipment and tools in any real quantity. (hard to strap a 30 foot antenna to your back!)

I've seen a guy target shooting with an M-1 Garand, so I would have to say yes!

What part of SC? coulda been me! Garand would and has made a great hunting rifle. Sites are fantastic and they even make 3/5 round enbloc's. With the availability of cheap hunting rifles though she mostly is for target and hi-power duty.

Those old mosins are great shooters too! Sites aren't worth a damn but boresighted to a scope and they are shockingly accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back