I am hooked (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SCook

Airman
Aug 1, 2009
Defiance, Ohio
After downloading the Aces High promotion a couple of months ago I'm hooked on air combat sims...just by practicing offline on Aces High. Received IL-2, 1946 a couple of days ago. It loaded seemlessly on my Vista. I didn't realize that IL-2 uses the mouse to "look" as opposed to AH where its used to fly. Did a few quick missions in 46 and realized that 1/2 or full rudder will never get you anywhere; way too jerky.

So my HOTAS system arrives in the morning (rudder peddles, throttle and stick). I'll save the money on IR tracker until I'm worthy.

It's funny...when I was in high school I earned my single engine-land because I worked at the local FBO and got a good deal on it due to some generous (albiet poor) flight instructors. I quit flying because I couldn't afford it in college. Getting a tail dragger around on the gound in these sims is probably one of the most difficult things I've had to learn.

Anyway...thanks folks for all the info in this forum that has so far made my intro into combat flight sims pretty easy. And if you meet the "Tater" online anytime soon...I wouldn't worry about it.

I hear ya man! Ive had this sim since the original IL2. I get away from it from time to time. But I always come back to it.

I recently just bought everything to play it like it should be. An X52, rudder pedals, and TrackIr 5. What a difference that makes!! I am no good player, but having the trackir is just so much fun and more immersive. The amazing thing is all of the different planes, regions, then you can play online with others!! This sim is the best thing ive ever bought for my PC and self.

I advise to learn the stock game first and enjoy all it has to offer. Which is a ton!! Then look at some of the mods out there. People thought modding this game would lead to blatant online cheating. But it hasnt really happened. check out mission4today.com. Not a modding site per se. But a wealth of info on this game and the community itself.

See you around!

I hear ya man! Ive had this sim since the original IL2. I get away from it from time to time. But I always come back to it.

I recently just bought everything to play it like it should be. An X52, rudder pedals, and TrackIr 5. What a difference that makes!! I am no good player, but having the trackir is just so much fun and more immersive. The amazing thing is all of the different planes, regions, then you can play online with others!! This sim is the best thing ive ever bought for my PC and self.

Like you I invested in the X52 stick and throttle and the Pro rudder peddles. Just got them up and running today. Right now it's about all I can do to find the airfield I just took off from and return for a landing; but I've done it a few times...for now just touch and goes and making sure I can get up and down.

I started in the Russian theatre with an early Hurricane but just couldn't get things together enouph to even find my airfield in time to line up for a military landing but I switched to the pacific theatre and that made finding my runways a lot easier. Newbee stuff I now...but fun for now. It will probably be a while before I feel confident enouph to discrace myself online.

Aside from configuring the HOTUS I've not even mapped any custom commands but I'm already finding some things I want to change to my version of logic, but I figure I should just fly the thing a while before I start customizing the flight commands.

The good news...I did manage to kill a parked aircraft and get back to base whole. Baby steps I guess.

"It will probably be a while before I feel confident enouph to discrace myself online."

Cook, the best thing you could probably do is get Teamspeak, download Hyperlobby, and go online with comms. There are a ton of guys with great experience who would be willing to get you up to speed.

Just my $0.02.

Deacon

"It will probably be a while before I feel confident enouph to discrace myself online."

Cook, the best thing you could probably do is get Teamspeak, download Hyperlobby, and go online with comms. There are a ton of guys with great experience who would be willing to get you up to speed.

Just my $0.02.

Deacon

Sooner or later I won't be able to resist; Probably sooner. Right now I'm just following the Nuggets Guide and it's really helpful. Just familiarizing myself with the hat switch operation and visual "situational awareness" is difficult but becomming easier.

But your right...the sooner I get on line the faster I'll learn. If anyone can recommend a good headset I'd appreciate the additional $0.02.

SCook,

For Headset I use the Logitech G35. It's a little pricey, but was well worth the $. Also, as far as SA (Situational Awareness) goes, TrackIR is phenomenal. Or if you are technically proficient you could try Free Track (I am so not technically proficient).

Hope this helps.

Deacon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back