I guess warbirds are "where you find them".

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

glennasher

Senior Airman
Jun 16, 2007
Louisville, KY
I had to travel to rural Missouri last weekend, to attend the funeral of my elderly aunt. My brother was telling me about an aircraft that a local guy kept at the airport. He wasn't sure what it was, but it had a radial and it was "really loud". I made some guesses and he simply didn't know, but we had to run an errand and go right by the airport, so we stopped by. Happily enough, the hangar was open, and I could see a Vultee BT-13 lurking in the background. He's just finished giving a fellow a ride in the old thing.
Imagine that, an old warbird right down the road from where I grew up. Rural Missouri isn't really where you'd expect such a thing. My brother knew the owner (my brother flies, too), so we jawboned with him for a half-hour or so, then went on our way to get the errand done. Kinda neat to see an old bird in such good condition, and still being flown on a regular basis.
I wish I'd taken a camera with me, my phone doesn't take pictures (it's a PHONE, dammit!).

I wish I'd taken a camera with me, my phone doesn't take pictures (it's a PHONE, dammit!).
First of All, my condolences to you about loss of your Aunt, May her soul rests in Eternal peace.

I felt this thousand and thousand times! specially when I was in Army's Archive ... and I was always arguing with my Commander; why shouldn't we burn them, if we are not allowed to publish them??? or if we want to hold them, why not just scan them and make "only god knows how many tones of Junk" to Several Hundred CD / DVD's??? or when I was talking with Veterans of Iran Iraq war, and I pleased them to have a copy of those interviews!!! but the only word was "NO"!!!

Yep, that's the one, thanks yet again! As of Sunday, it's only got less than 400 hours on the factory rebuilt Pratt engine. Due to the accident at Richards-Gebauer AFB in the '80s at an airshow, the USAF paid to have a new engine installed and the plane restored to it's current state (the accident (on the taxiway) was the USAF's fault).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back