I know where some P-51's and B-17's are buried. My Dad told me the story when I was 8 yrs old, now I'm 62, (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's two photos of a later tornado at Carswell September 1 1952:

B-36 tornado September 1 1952 Carswell AFB #1.jpg

B-36 tornado September 1 1952 Carswell AFB #2.jpg

Hi and welcome.

As i do not know you i have no reason not to believe. But in the not to long a history there were made many claim about aircraft being burried be it in crates or what have you.
Even gold nazi loot was a thing a bit back.

So i hope you will not be offended as this will be frowned on.
Funny, I believed my dad when he scuffed his boot on a pile of dirt and explained why the location was so special, I remembered it like yesterday.

The Air Force Base at Wichita Falls is a training base and they typically have some older aircraft for students to assemble and disassemble. If those were trashed by a tornado they would iikely just dispose of them locally rather than go through the expense of hauling the remains to an Air Depot or the Davis Montana boneyard. P-51's were used as examples of airframe construction for USAF training manuals of the 50's and were phased out of USAF and ANG service about 1955. The earlier version of the manual "Aircraft Engineering for Pilots" used a P-51 for illustrations and the later version used a T-28. Oddly enough, the USAF quit using the B-17 and the B-29 in the same year, which must have been about 1960. Of course the B-50 remained in service a bit longer than the B-29.
this happened in about 1954? you are close when you say Wichita Falls,,,,, but that was not the location of post WW11 B-17 training, keep guessing.......

View attachment 711263

View attachment 711264
close around the correct time, could have been '52, I don't belive those were the planes. looks almost like the photo's my Dad had, except he was standing there in a Chrome helmet and a buzz cut hair do next to B-17's,, Wow! brings back memories....

Ignore him....I'm in....When do we go

I can see the Spot on Google Maps, It's still visible because of a very special reason, It's covered over and no vegetation grows on the spot which is as large as a foot ball field, and just so you know I was gold prospecting in Alaska most my life so I'm not so good at this computer and I type poking the K-board so thank's and sorry Cptnbob.

Thank you Captain Buzz Kill.
Funny I've thought about this story all my life, now at the end, I died 2x's in 2000, and God gave me a bunch more Time after a short talk, now I'm totally disabled, so it's fun to share it with interested persons from then, I'll never make it back there I'm toast ( reattached R-ankle, Replaced left knee, Broken lower spine, 2 broke ribs, broken color bone broken shoulder blade, spiral fracture right arm 2 crushed hands, 3 crushed fingers r-hand, 2 broken thumbs, 2 broken big toes, and shot 1 time), so I'm a little wobbly when I walk,,but one of you guy's might make it there someday, So keep Guessing, put together the Clues,,

this happened in about 1954? you are close when you say Wichita Falls,,,,, but that was not the location of post WW11 B-17 training, keep guessing.......
After hard thought on your post I seem to remember my Dad saying something about them fazing out of the airplanes or something like that, the time was around '52-'55,** (BIG CLUE HERE!) the base was shut down and sold and is now a private air port. NOW You have a great clue because of You perfect response to my post,, Keep looking you are close. Email me sometime.

Shepard AFB at Wichita Falls is the location for Aircraft Maintenance Training, NOT flight training. I went TDY there when I was on active duty. I do not know what the base was named back in the 1950's.

Funny I've thought about this story all my life, now at the end, I died 2x's in 2000, and God gave me a bunch more Time after a short talk, now I'm totally disabled, so it's fun to share it with interested persons from then, I'll never make it back there I'm toast ( reattached R-ankle, Replaced left knee, Broken lower spine, 2 broke ribs, broken color bone broken shoulder blade, spiral fracture right arm 2 crushed hands, 3 crushed fingers r-hand, 2 broken thumbs, 2 broken big toes, and shot 1 time), so I'm a little wobbly when I walk,,but one of you guy's might make it there someday, So keep Guessing, put together the Clues,,
You weren't the Captain I was referring to.

Scrap pits didn't have complete aircraft - you'd have to dig everything up and lay it all out to try and make a whole one.

Same for all scrap pits: the B-29 "pit" at Tinian, the "pit" at China Lake or elsewhere.
I will weld the pieces onto scaffolding poles and sell them as 1:1 scale kits.

Shepard AFB at Wichita Falls is the location for Aircraft Maintenance Training, NOT flight training. I went TDY there when I was on active duty. I do not know what the base was named back in the 1950's.
about 90 miles north east. the now retired base is a private tiny airport with long runways, google maps helps

Scrap pits didn't have complete aircraft - you'd have to dig everything up and lay it all out to try and make a whole one.

Same for all scrap pits: the B-29 "pit" at Tinian, the "pit" at China Lake or elsewhere.
exactly, lots of small but priceless parts, just in aluminum its a big find. you would be challenged to assemble a whole plane, I was at a Air show where an old plane was being restored, the lack of vintage parts was a big issue Thats basically the beginning of my thoughts on this pit of parts.

You weren't the Captain I was referring to.
No I'm not the captain you were referring to, You would have had to be a King Crabber out of Dutch Harbor Alaska, Or a Tuna fisherman on the East coast, to have know me. that's why I'm disabled

Sheppard AFB is still an active military installation.
OK I had to look twice at sheppard AFB on google maps, I don't think thats the spot, Although My Dad may hay been stationed there, but the spot. It might be 500 yrds from the (Crazy Crow) I think, I seem to remember,,( I was 6yrs yrs old, and when your 6 you remember when dad spent a nickel on a grape knee high,) and thats about 90 miles from Sheppard, I will try to contact the Museum there and see what they know about it, (big clue here,,, north end right side 500yrds ft from Crazy cow)

View attachment 711263

View attachment 711264
Update, I thought it was in 1968, but after a old family album search I see it was in 1966 as we were living on a street ( Hickory street in Denton Tx,) At that time my Dad was a Master Sargent I think, and we lived off base housing, and raised german short hair bird dogs, As my dad was a MP we also raised German Sheppard Police dogs, then Transferred to Tyndal AFB in Panama City, Fl,

Update, I believe my address was on N. Hickory St, Sherman tx in '66, later in 68 we lived in Denton Tx,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back