Id challenge

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well the only thing i found out today is that the fuel gauges are in yhe same locale but will be getting some info from a guy who instructed on both types i doubt very much if I'll get that info until after the new year

I just purchased a book called Behind the Glory and in it it talks about the Yale and one instructor pilot called it a brain damaged Harvard the controls were backwards pull back on throttle for power and the mixture was pushed forward to enrich between sept 40 and oct 43 20percent of the Yales crashed in all the aircraft was a down scaled Harvard

i

Sounds like the throttles were already set up for the French. They do it the reverse of everyone else for some reason. Pull back to increase power and push forward to decrease. Even modern French aircraft are like that.

Yep, that's true, NS. It earned a bad reputation, but here is what one pilot said about the Yale:
"The Yale has an unjustifiably bad reputation among those who have not had the privilege of flying one. Supposedly underpowered, it was considered a dangerous aircraft to fly. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is actually nicer to fly than the Harvard and much easier due to the lack of a supercharger and retractable gear. It has a two-speed propeller which can be a bit of an issue when doing aerobatics (but only if your not careful). However the airplane is docile in all flight regimes. Unlike the Harvard, the Yale does not violently drop a wing in a stall and is more stable in slow flight. The rugged, wide gear makes for straight and easily controlled landings. This is a great aircraft, one which deserves a better reputation than it has been granted."

point of interest the Yale was used a fair peice including a 12 ship along with Battles Ansons etc in a movie called Captains of the Clouds starring James Cagney ,Alan Hale Dennis Morgan and Billy Bishop PAul Mantz doin some flying the final scene has a Hurricane playing the part of a german fighter also including a cast of up to several hundred RCAF airmen and its in colour

There are several Texans made out to look like Zeroes. Here is one that is around the southern California Air Show circuit.

Attachments

• 0a6m2replica2_854.jpg
    0a6m2replica2_854.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 261
I have a pic in a frame that shows a replica and a real zero in flight. At first glance, the similarity is pretty good. There are obvious differences, but with a shortage of real A6Ms around, obviously the Texan is a close match. Better than using a spitfire for a 109.

oh your quite right I've seen the Tora Tora warbirds many times but I kinda feel its like the Rolls Royce grill kit you used to be able to buy for the VW Beetle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back