ID needed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

blueskies

Airman
Oct 25, 2008
Taken in Italy.

This is probably something obvious but I'm not too knowledgeable about italian aircraft. I've been through a bunch of wiki pages and cant find a match.

41554513495_eff73187ec_o.jpg

I agree. There is some of similarity to Breda Ba.15-S.

If she came with Americans to the Italy from the North Africa it could be either French or Italian. If it could be from the Eastern countries as suggested it could be Yugoslav, Romanian or Bulgarian. But it looks like a cut and shut. Also it is very likely the plane could have been re-captured by the US troops and was used by members of staff headquarters or something like that. Interesting is that there is a Hurricane trop on the right in the background.

In regards to the Lublin, I am looking at several key things, like the configuration of the lift struts, the taper of the fuselage at the firewall, the mainwing shape and also, the distinctive wheel design on the maingear.

The OP's aircraft certainly isn't a Lublin, but like I said, there looks to be similar features.

image.jpg

I understand. Same here. To be honest I also checked on the other PWS planes but any of them doesn't fit. Additionally it is not possible to find the Polish plane type there at that time.. Just no one survived the German invasion in September 1939.

In post #8, look closely at that BA.15 on skies.

What if those skies were removed and a narrow cowl was placed over that radial?

The center joint on the maingear and the cabanes inside of the lift struts and the maingear's wheels sure look close, don't they?

Yep. Also It is wery possible the plane could have been modified in order to fit the another engine type.

It almost looks like the area behind the front cockpit had been cut away, perhaps to fit a passenger or cargo.

It looks like a modified Breda with the glass removed.

The landing gear struts look spot on.
As do the odd little reinforcing struts on the main struts, and the distinctive tail skid arrangement is the same.

It's absolutely a Ba.15. I'm not familiar with differences from the 15 to the 15S, so I can't make THAT call. From Wikipedia: "Ba.15s were fitted with a wide variety of engines. The most popularly selected was the Walter Venus, but examples also left the factory powered by Cirrus III, de Havilland Gipsy, Colombo S.63, Walter Mars I, and Isotta-Fraschini 80 T engines." The engine not withstanding, the distinctive undercarriage (note the shock absorbers just below the fuselage) and the very unique rectangular brace between the wing struts are two dead giveaways. They are unique enough and very unlikely to be copied from manufacturer to manufacturer.

-Irish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back