Identify greys from enclosed pic/color chart

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm not a historian, I just play one on the internet lol. anyways, new, perhaps not. documented, well... the above picture tells a tale. but yes, I see your point.
no problem with us disagreeing, it makes for interesting conversation.

'der Luftwaffe früheren Glanz wieder lebt!'

Last edited:
Steve, have you seen this..

Clipboard02.jpg

' 109 ' appears before the WNr. eg: WNr.109.5491 at at least one factory. I wonder if that appeared on any actual aircraft that way...

WNr.109.5491 at at least one factory. I wonder if that appeared on any actual aircraft that way...

I can't remember seeing that format on an aircraft but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I'll check some piccies when I get a chance.
Cheers
Steve

While searching, I found something interesting.

27.jpg

I never expected to see this on a Bf109E...

I'm sure the second W.Nr. has been simply been pasted as part of the process to remove the swastica for publication, got another somewhere, where the "Nicht Anfassen" from the rudder has been pasted in the same area too.... the 'F' would have some meaning, sorry don't know the answer.

Wayne is surely correct,a bit of cut and pasting. The F is for "flugklar". It indicates that this aircraft has been damaged but is now cleared for flying again.
Cheers
Steve

thanks for the explanation on the 'F'. awesome. I know about the 'cut paste'. it came from German Ebay. Guess they choose
to ignore their past and stagnate rather then embrace it and move on.

I've been doing a bit of searching for this 95XXX production block coming from the Gyor plant. The origin seems to be in a book which I have never seen,nor do I have access to it. This book was written by a Hungarian chap called Punka Gyorgy. I have no idea where his information came from but have to accept that this makes your aircraft's origin at that plant,and your suspected werknummer a possibility.
I'd love to know more. Anyone familiar with this book? It would be useful to know when it was published.
Cheers
Steve

I'll have to find that book ( and the name of it). the only one so far I found was Hungarian aces of WWII by Punka Gyorgy.

Trying to find out!
As a by the way if your aircraft was indeed from Gyor and factory fresh as of the winter of '44-'45 it was built when the plant was under W.N.F.management. Wiener Neustadt schemes,on their early G-14s at least,were very similar to Erla schemes. No idea if Gyor changed its schemes to the new management W.N.F. versions but possibly not so new?
Mmmmmmmm
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back