Identify the model kit

Discussion in 'Questions on Kits, Decals, Tools and Pilots' started by stona, Apr 16, 2015.

1. stona

stona Well-Known Member

Anyone able to identify the models visible in this screen shot? It is from the hilarious 'Likely Lads' which Brits of a certain age will remember well. The episode was broadcast in 1974. The kits would need to have been available in 1973/4 at the latest.

[​IMG]

I'm confident about the Monogram/Revell 1/48 B-17 and I think that the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane was available at this time. I'm stumped by the P-51 which looks like it might be about 1/32 or 1/35scale.

The female character (the woman at number 39 with whom Terry is hoping for some 'action') moans about her husband's hobby and that the house smells of 'balsa and glue', but I reckon those are all plastic kits :)

Cheers

Steve

2. GrauGeist

GrauGeist Well-Known Member

Public Safety Automotive Technician
    Home Page:
    Not sure about the Mustang, but the profile of the Albatros D.V (on the wall, behind her) looks pretty interesting! :lol:

3. Crimea_River

Crimea_River Well-Known Member

The Mustang could be the old 1/32 scale Monogram one with the landing gear that retracted with a rotating knob on the belly. It also had levers to drop the bombs. I built one when I was a teenager.

4. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    I agree - they also did a 'Phantom Mustang', with clear fuselage and internal detail. I built one back in the 1970's.
    However, if it's in 1/24th scale, which it could be, just comparing size against the door frame in the background, then the Airfix 1/24th scale kit was released in late 1971, early 1972, at a price of £2.50 !!!

5. stona

stona Well-Known Member

I think the Hurricane above the P-51 is the Airfix 1/24 kit which might make the 1/32 Monogram kit favourite for the P-51.

Thanks for the input, I'd forgotten about the Monogram P-51 :)

Cheers

Steve

6. ian lanc

ian lanc Member

un-employed, i'm not bone, just injured my back at work
    What a great post! Reminds me of Porridge with Ronny Barker Richard Beckinsale and Richard is making the Monogram B17 model.