IF YOU WERE RICH AND COULD AFFORD ANY WWII PLANE ...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For me

1. Spitfire Mk VIII: arguably regarded as the nicest variants of all to fly.
2. Sea Fury: okay, strictly speaking, it wasn't WWII but I'd have one anyway just for the sheer hotroddy-ness of it.
3. P47-D: if you don't want one of these, you're not really a man... No seriously, there's just something about the chunky muscularity of the Jug that never fails to stir the imagination, esp when it's sitting at dispersal all gunned up.
4. Fw190A: to fly the RAF's wake-up call and know why.
5. Me262A-1A: to fly the USAAF's wake-up call and know why.
6. Do335: largely unsung and for me, desirable owing to it's unusual configuration; a performer in the same class as the P47-M.
7. Me163: Eight minutes but what a ride, as well as seeing what it's like to fly a firework with guns.
8. A6M: early version, to see what it's like to fly a kite with guns.
9. Dewoitine D520: obviously nipped in the bud somewhat early in its development, nevertheless an interesting French design, seemingly a match for the Bf109E, that merits it a place in the collection.
10. P51-D: a great fighter from a company with no real experience of designing fighters. It incorporated alot of novel design features, some of which worked (eg Meredith Effect) and some of which were somewhat overblown (eg Laminar Flow).
It's got to be in there simply for being able to deliver a first-rate fighter to the Reich's front door and take him on, on more or less equal terms. Range and fightability; two terms in WWII fighter design engineering trade-off that seldom went together for the same aircraft.

I'd go build a ju-290 factory if i were rich and make modern versions with jet engines or radials. I'd also buy a Storch,those are tiny and awesome STOL planes. Flying by myself would be boring but if i had fellows like you guys then I'd buy a ki-43 just for shits and giggles to mock dogfight.

If I was a bazillionaire, I'd have at least one of every airplane used, and have someone build whatever was not available to restore. In addition there are a few that are not WW2 that I'd have as well!

In the meantime, I'll keep dreaming, and in no particular order here's my short(ish) first list... just so I can start playing.

Spitfire IX (clipped) for low-level fun
Spitfire PR XIX for high-level fun
L-4 Cub
Lysander
Boeing P-26 "Peashooter" (not WW2, but close enough)
Hawker Fury
Fairey Swordfish
Fiesler Storch
Gloster Gladiator
PBY
Noordyn Norseman UC-64 (on floats)
Westland Lysander
Ju-87
Bucker 133
DH-83 Fox Moth
Tiger Moth
Stearman
Ju-52
Fleet 16 Finch
C-45
C-47
P-40
P-38 (for my wife)
F4U Corsair (also for my wife)
Lancaster (for my friends at 419 Squadron Cold Lake AB)

Cheers
Kerry

Its toooooo hard to stop at one... (whines and stomps foot)... waaaa! :cry:

If I were as filthy rich as You say, I would acquire myself the following:

Yak-3, La-7, Spitfire ( any of the types ), Fw-190A8, Me-262 and Bf-109D6

But what I would really like to try is to build a functional, flyable Ikarus Ik-3.

I think a PBY would be nice to fly to the Carribean or, considering its range, any place else for that matter, and go fishing or diving out of the blisters.

F4U-1A

1481.jpg

de Havilland Hornet, Hawker Typhoon, Northrop Blackwidow, Spitfire (Griffon),
Sabre Fury, M.B.5, Spiteful XV,
Several would have to be built from scratch...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back