Images from the Liverpool 'Blitz'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good find Steve.
I'm not from Liverpool, although I used to go there a lot with my old job, and the parachute display team I was involved with were all from Merseyside, plus I was once married to a Liverpool lass. I recognised the cathedral, of course, which looks like the photos was taken 'down the hill', towards Pier Head, and a couple of shots which I think were on the Dock Road, and one which I think was the hotel where I had (one of!) my wedding receptions, which is north and west of the city by about four or five miles, but still overlooking the Mersey estuary.
Interesting to see those unexploded aerial mines, a type which did, as far as I know, more damage than 'ordinary' bombs, with many fused for air burst, and others, I suspect like those shown, with delayed fuses.
The London 'Blitz' very often 'captures' the stock of photos of bomb damage, and it's sometimes forgotten that Luftwaffe raids struck deep into Britain, so it's good to see places such as Liverpool which, along with many other major cities, got quite a hammering.
It's some time since I've been to Liverpool, but even in the late 1980's and early '90's, signs of bomb damage, although repaired, where still visible along the Dock Road, and craters still around in the fields and open countryside outside the area.
Oh, and I liked the music too - very relaxing.

My Grandmother lived in Bootle throughout the Blitz and the area around her street was heavily damaged. At one point in 1941 in the street of 112 houses only a small group at one end were habitable the rest 100+ had lost roofs, windows and been burnt out by incendiaries. My Grandmothers house was only habitable on the ground floor as the upstairs rooms had no windows or ceilings.

Even in the 1970s there were still houses in the street propped up with giant timbers where a terrace house had been removed and the houses either side needed support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back