Imaginary designs....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Have you ever wanted to "design" your own WWII fighter, bomber etc..OR maybe you did just that as a child, up on your room? We've all here talked the best this and the best that and sometimes had a "slight" disageement about a minor detail or whatnot....

Now, how about trying it again? How would design you medium and heavy bombers, what would your torpedo or dive bomber look like?

Just curious?

Odd you should mention that ! When I was younger, actually during WW-II,
I use to draw airplanes and an occasional seaplane. Funny, they all looked
like a P-40...... Pointed spinner and sharkmouth...

Charles

10-15 years ago I had a phase when always ideas of imaginary WWII aircraft were haunting my brain. I created a lot of aircraft for many thinkable purposes. My drawings of this time still exist but are not for publishing, sorry. Two examples:

1) I always thought it was a pity if a catapulted CAM fighter got lost after serviceing. So which kind of airplane could be a thoroughbred fighter and be picked up from the sea without becomimg damaged by a water landing? I thought to derive it from this, how do you call this kind of toy in English, drag boat?
1280_3133383738643363.jpg

(picture from visitsthelens.com)
These creatures often tend to lift from water unintentionally, so why not to make them fly? Elongate the flat area further from the stabilizers (retractable like a wheel undercarriage) to a flying-wing configuration. The engine is located in the center of the fuselage and drives a swingable airscrew in the rear (like in Dornier Do 26 and Do 212). Compared to the picture, the bow is lifted a bit and contains machine guns.
Later studies showed me this design would not be able to take off from high seas and also the time of serviceability would be short because of deterioraton by hitting waves and corrosion from salt water. But at least with some of these you could give sufficient air cover to a quiet lagoon, unlike using a floatplane fighter.

2) I always liked the thought off a two-seat single-engined fighter that could survive in WWII. The Arsenal-Delanne design goes into right direction, but is not quite convincing to me. My solution looks generally like the Sunny ultralight aircraft (but upper wing fixed on the fuselage top), has the engine in the center and a frontal airscrew driven by an elongated shaft like P-39/P-63 have, and a gun turret in the rear. In this configuration, pilot and rear gunner have best visibility. The wings could be kept comparedly short, and the central engine together with the general configuration gives a very good weight distribution and so cares for an impressive maneuverability - at least I think so.

Hope you enjoyed my ideas!

Regards, RT

Quite funny really

It's pretty much all I do in maths teacher always frowns upon them(last year of school so won't have to put up with it to much longer)
really like designs like the Me-P1106

-Daniel

I always like the planes of Sky Capitan and the World of Tomorrow.
They can be flying along at 200mph and then dive into the water to fight submerged machines.
skycaptain_depthperception.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back