I don't know how to overcome the contrarianism here. I must be an eternal optimist, otherwise why do I bother? So here goes..... All the carrier fleets into the 1930s are operating single seat fighters, I'm just suggesting the RN carry on alongside the Japanese, Americans and French carrier arms as it prepares to design its first all-metal, folding wing, retractable undercarriage aircraft. Make it a single seat fighter, like everyone else instead of pursuing the Skua.
I think you are giving USN and French too much credit:
In '33, just 8 months before AM orders Skua, USN is ordering Vought XF3U: a biplane, 2 seat fighter to fulfill the same role as Hawker Osprey - the "reconnaissance in force" airplane. And there was much debate within USN BuAer, if moving the plane to SBU Corsair to be more focused DB role was correct course. And remember the XF4F was also a biplane in '36. The USN gets it right by '42. But Skua's reputation has been made by then.
I'm not sure the Wibault 74 would be my single seat fighter of choice in '39, or Dewoitine D.376 in '40.
And there is a period from '34 to ~'41, where a single seat interceptor is next to useless - where Mk. 1 eyeball is replaced by Radar.
Remember, when the specification is let, there aren't any Hurricane, Spitfires, Bf.109s, etc. So, Blackburn Skua was bleeding edge in '37, with all metal, folding wing, retracting gear, enclosed cockpit.
The issue is really there was no upgrade path for Blackburn's aircraft:
There are issues with the RAE wind tunnel (turbulence) which means it isn't giving correct drag number. So, you can't really say if that windshield is costing 0.5mph, 5mph or 50 mph
The Perseus can't be developed into a 1,300 hp engine. (or even an 1,100hp one)*
There is no plan to swap Bristol engine for RR one ala Fw.190A to Fw.190D (probably weren't enough Merlins anyways.)
But I look at Hawker Henley of more/less same weight/wing area and see a plane that can almost touch 300mph and I can't help but think a cleaner design would have been more useful as a fighter.
*The NM experiments with a twin Potexz 565 leading to Bréguet Bre.810 for strike aircraft in acknowledgement that an engine of sufficient power are unavailable, being alternative. Somehow, I don't think twin Aquila's really buys anything.