In search of a bomber... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BiffF15

Tech Sergeant
Aug 15, 2010
Florida
Gents,

A little help if you will. A lady I work with is trying to find info on her father (WW2 tail gunner). Unknown type, location (Europe but unit from Westover, MA / KCEF).

His name/rank: SSgt John Edwin Breen
His aircraft was called "I'll take you home again Kathleen". A popular song in the day, and also whom she is named after.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Biff

Also try here

http://www.reddog1944.com/487th Squadron Index.htm

Where they have this

image030.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work, Karl!

I tried to run a search based on the name and came up with this result: https://billiongraves.com/grave/John-Edwin-Smokey-Breen/17534021#

But I can't open the page with the ipad. This is the only result that comes up in an extensive search through various databases, so I think this may be a winner.

I'll keep looking on the computer later unless someone nails it down sooner.

Nice work, Karl!

I tried to run a search based on the name and came up with this result: https://billiongraves.com/grave/John-Edwin-Smokey-Breen/17534021#

But I can't open the page with the ipad. This is the only result that comes up in an extensive search through various databases, so I think this may be a winner.

I'll keep looking on the computer later unless someone nails it down sooner.

I get a "Page not Found" when I hit that link, but I went to the main page and got this:

Search | BillionGraves

There are quite a few Breens so to start, what are the birth/death years and where might he be buried?

Good luck.

For some reason, the link is supposed to have a pound symbol...but when a person clicks on it, tje pound symbol fails and "page not found".

This particular grave is for SSgt. John Edwin "Smokey" Breen of WWII

This Gentleman?
Yes, that's the one.

So far, his is the only name that comes up in any searches using his rank and full name. There are several Breens in the US Army lists, but none with the combination of John, first and Edward, middle. Then this burial goes further to show his "nickname" as Smokey, which may prove helpful in any of the online bomber societies.

You guys rock! I showed her what you found and she passed a hearty thanks! Her brother has their fathers DD214 and she is asking him for a copy.

She was under the impression that he was on B-26 Marauders as he trained in Tampa, FL before going over. He was based at one point in Belgium. Not sure if that info helps to narrow it down or point in a possible different direction. He was UAAAF.

Cheers and thanks again!
Biff

You guys rock! I showed her what you found and she passed a hearty thanks! Her brother has their fathers DD214 and she is asking him for a copy.

She was under the impression that he was on B-26 Marauders as he trained in Tampa, FL before going over. He was based at one point in Belgium. Not sure if that info helps to narrow it down or point in a possible different direction. He was UAAAF.

Cheers and thanks again!
Biff
I have found a picture of a B-26 called just bring us home again kathleen, not found the unit yet.
This would match him being in Belgium ?
03-45 Just Take Us Home Again KATHLEEN.jpg

I have found a picture of a B-26 called just bring us home again kathleen, not found the unit yet.
This would match him being in Belgium ?
View attachment 359681

Rochie,
Thank you! She just looked over my shoulder at your picture and is very excited! Do you have any more data or a name of the pilot? It looks like Lt. Roy Fergueson. Any data is greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Biff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back