Inquiry into Ju 88H-1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Erich

the old Sage
May 20, 2004
Platonic Sphere
doing a bit of research on a possible downed pilot of 3.(F)/123 which had at least 4 H-1's in their line up providing the Recon necessary for LW bombers and the KM U-boot arm as Seefliegers-Ferne (long range)

now the question I have is what is possible on the net and from our members concerning this extended fuselage A variant with extra fuel cells and other information on it and the camera loads ?

88h1profile.jpg

thanks all !

According to Aero Detail 20 the fuselages of the aircraft was stretched immediately ahead of and behind the wing by a total of 3.293 meters

I have found there techical datas and the drawing only. The larger shot in the RAR file below. Source.... Aero Detail No.20

Attachments

• Ju88H datas.jpg
    Ju88H datas.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 653
  • Ju88H1_H2a.jpg
    Ju88H1_H2a.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,861
  • Ju88H1_H2.rar
    222.7 KB · Views: 229
From The Warplanes of the Third Reich by Green, page 472

"...the additional sections enabling the fuselage to house three 268 Imp gal fuel tanks and one 230 Imp. gal., and this could be augmented by two 198 Imp gal. drop tanks
..was equipped with FuG 200 Hohentwiel radar in the nose and a trio of remotely controlled Rb cameras in the aft fuselage."

That's all I could find, nothing about it being used in operations.

at least 10 were built and I do know of at least 4 in 3.(F)/123 flying ops one was shot down on July 21, 1944.

thanks guys it is helping.................. more please ! 8)

Last edited:
Eric, don't know if this helps but over on TOCH they had a short discussion on this including....

"Then this could be Ju 88 H-1 W.Nr. 0880430951 DO+FS that went missing with 3.(F)/123 on 31.07.44....."

Junkers Ju88H-1 - Page 2 - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

and this....

http://www.rlm.at/cont/gal08_e.htm

"The Ju 88 H-4 was a development of the H-1 long range reconnaissance aircraft and the H-2, a destroyer aircraft that were to have been both used in the Battle of the Bay of Biscay during 1943-44. The H-2 had much in common with the Ju 88 G-1 as for instance the BMW 801D power plants, six MG 151 -20 cannons and external fuel tanks to give it a range of 5000 km and with a speed of 550km/h at 6000m. In addition the aircraft carried the FuG 200 Hohentwiel radar in the nose. The aircraft was ideally suited to protect returning U-boats. In June 1943, 20 aircraft were ordered in addition to the prototype under construction.

On November 2. the first H-1 prototype flew and at the end of March 1944 five H-1's flew with 3. (F)/123. Three were held in reserve. By July only two were left. Only one H-2 was completed by Junkers in Merseburg. The Ju 88 H-3 was to become a reconnaissance aircraft equipped with a FuG 200 radar. The aircraft never went beyond the design stage."

Last edited:
yes thanks the top link you gave off of 12 o'clock should be coded 4U+AL

3 staffel of 123 was the only unit equipped with the H-1. it first served in the staffel with 4 on hand in April of 1944 on operations. My question were for anything extra as to the web there is always disagreeing.

I await more ......

I have found in AJ-Press monography no.4 for Ju 88 that Ju 88H-1 serving in 3.(F)/123 were coded 4U+AL, BL, CL, EL and FL. Airbases of the unit were Rennes, Cognac and Lorient.

Last edited:
Erich, I have some reference that indicates that the rear cockpit MG arrangement on the A was changed on the H.

Instead of the MG15, it had a single MG131 (this was on both the H-1 and the H-2 versions)

I'll see if I have any images of the H stashed away.

All I've found on my computer at the moment is this side view comparison drawing of the various models.

It may help in referencing the lengthened fuselage of the H-1 :)

Attachments

• Ju88_side2[800x600].jpg
    Ju88_side2[800x600].jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,964
it may have depended : I say this as from Würger pointed out above in his copied specs. 2 MG 131 and a twin MG 81 zwilling. with the lower gondola completely removed one wonders where the mgs would of been installed except for the upper rear of the canopy.

From the same page I referenced above:

"The crew comprised 3 members and defensive armament consisted of one WT 81Z (twin fixed 7.9mm MG 81 machine gunes) firing forward from a bulged housing offset to port beneath the forward fuselage, one fixed or one flexible forward firing MG 81, and a similar weapon firing aft from the rear of the cockpit glazing."

Here is some pics of the pic, front, and a close up of the front showing the gun's housing.

And I did find in it where it did say the H-1 H-2 saw operational service under the Fliegerfuhrer Atlantik.

Attachments

• Ju 88H-1 Front.jpg
    Ju 88H-1 Front.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 497
  • Ju 88H-1 Top.jpg
    Ju 88H-1 Top.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,636
  • Ju 88H-1 Close.jpg
    Ju 88H-1 Close.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,419
I have to admit that I find it rather odd if not funny to have a lower gondola with powered two MG 81 7.9 as a forward arms arrangement. literally the pop guns would do about as much damage to shipping as ............... ? would of been better to have 2cm's as replacement.

thanks VB

here's another plan drawing which might help, Erich. This is from the Kagero Vol2, Ju88.

Attachments

• Ju88H-1.pdf
    197.1 KB · Views: 454
Not so much a gondola as a 'blister' or 'gun pack'. I haven't yet determined if the MGs were fixed or remote controlled. Still looking for more info.

they would be fixed with no sighting mechanism, but they are wrong anyway there was no rear firing blister, waffen-pod or whatever. the unit had a crew of 3 sometime's 4 with an additional observer. Pilot, Bordfünker and rear gunner/radio operator. remember even though spectacular speed at 29,000 feet high a recon unit flying over the Ocean with FuG 200 H gets down low withing a thousand feet and lower skimming over the water not to be detected.

I do not think the H-2 was used on operations.

Is it possible that the gondola was fitted as a forward firing defensive arrangement in case of head-on attack? I know I'm reaching here, but otherwise it seems kind of useless and a waste of weight.

By the way, came across another image buried on my drive...this one is a rear canopy MG illustration showing the MG131 setup

Attachments

• Ju88H_canopyMG[rear]a.jpg
    Ju88H_canopyMG[rear]a.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 296

Users who are viewing this thread

Back