Iran's 'flying boats' go on display

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

comiso90

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 19, 2006
FL
BBC News - Iran's 'flying boats' go on display at sea

Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards have taken delivery of three squadrons of flying craft named Bavar 2', according to the country's state TV.

The craft have a hull which enables them to land on water, and can be used for surveillance.

They were filmed on display at sea in Hormozgan.

Attachments

• Bavar 2.jpg
    Bavar 2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 421
It's not a new idea
it's an up-to-date rework on the Soviet Ekranoplan, borne out by the reverse-delta wing config for exploiting ground effect when it's skipping along close to the water.

Didn't the Soviets have one of these things to transport goods? Rather than using ships for faster delivery?
Pretty much
but I think it was for ferrying holiday-makers around the Black Sea

Edit: it was nicknamed The Caspian Sea Monster so I guess it wasn't the Black Sea :)

Last edited:
Its propaganda for the masses. Keep them fed with images of how the theocracy is defending the poor Iranian public from the Great Satan US in hopes that the Iranian people wont rise up and hang them all from the lamp posts for keeping them in the 8th century while the world races away into the future. :rolleyes:

Iran and North Korea are becoming more and more the same.

Its propaganda for the masses. Keep them fed with images of how the theocracy is defending the poor Iranian public from the Great Satan US in hopes that the Iranian people wont rise up and hang them all from the lamp posts for keeping them in the 8th century while the world races away into the future. :rolleyes:

Iran and North Korea are becoming more and more the same.

I agree. I just hope that someday the people of both Iran and North Korea rise up.

Me too. Would be nice to see somebody else sacrafice for betterment of their society than the men and women of the western world.

Those things look like target drones. Maybe the designer had that in mind.

They also look too slow to run, to underarmed to survive a stand up fight and too small to be a threat to anything other than the pilot of the craft (or some poor SOB out in the gulf fishing or some such).

In any kind of fight against a serious threat, they're just toast.

It the Straits of Hormuz they might be a very interesting option , low radar and accoustic signature . In that busiest of sea lanes ...its a cheap option

versus a small boat that can actually carry a viable payload? Nah... it's a boondoggle to amuse the masses.

I think its a cool looking patrol aircraft for a nation w/o satellites. I bet it as a poor service radius though.

Last edited:
It's not a new idea
it's an up-to-date rework on the Soviet Ekranoplan, borne out by the reverse-delta wing config for exploiting ground effect when it's skipping along close to the water.

I dont believe its a ground effect craft anymore than the Lake. Just a simple seaplane with an attempted stealth airframe. The video clearly shows it flying higher than ground effect height.

smithmtnlake.jpg

3442854059_f2f7be2b74_z.jpg

Last edited:
I dont believe its a ground effect craft anymore than the Lake. Just a simple seaplane with an attempted stealth airframe. The video clearly shows it flying higher than ground effect height
I still think it is
the reverse-delta wing config is an accepted technique employed in ground effect vehicle design WHEN skipping along close to the water, which implies that WHEN it isn't, it's doing something else - like flying out of ground effect.

I still fail to see the overall bang-for-buck, unless 'being alot of fun' counts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back