Iron Clads

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

According to The Monitor versus The Merrimac: Ironclads at war, there are several things that havent been mentioned here yet
1. the Monitor only was equiped with 1 cannon at the battle of Hampton Roads
2. the monitor had a weak spot; the small 'box' on the deak used to look out ( to see where they are going) was hit, blinding everyone in it
3. when the Virgina ramed (and got stuck in ) the USS Cumberland, the Cumberland fired 3 broadsides into the Virgina, destroying 2 of the Virgina's guns and putting the smokestack in a '>' shape.

my 2 cents. hope that helped someone

I read a few books several years ago when I was still in school on the Monitor and Merrimac. This is from memory, but I believe if the Monitor had been able or cleared to use the full charge her cannons could handle, The CSS Virginia would have fared much worse, and possibly even been able to break the stalemate between the two ships.

A few pics of the 'Monitor' after the battle.

Attachments

• USS_Monitor_after_Battle_of_Hampton_Roads.png
    USS_Monitor_after_Battle_of_Hampton_Roads.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 85
  • monitor3.jpg
    monitor3.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 71
  • crewondeck_425.jpg
    crewondeck_425.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 106
  • USS_Monitor1862.jpg
    USS_Monitor1862.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 2762-004-D46580CC.jpg
    2762-004-D46580CC.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 69
  • h45970.jpg
    h45970.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 78
  • monitor_officers.jpg
    monitor_officers.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 91
From what I remember in my readings, there were doors covering the cannon portal that would close after firing. These were jammed in the battle so the monitor had to spin the turret around to reload and spin it back to fire. :)

Just caugth a National Geographic Special yesterday about the raising of the USS Monitor's turret, and the reamins of 3 crewmen were found inside the turret. they were laid to rest with full military honors.

A big advantage, as you can imagine, is that the tops of the vessels were fire resistant cause of the iron. At the time, combatants tried to set each others ships on fire via flaming clay pots filled with combustibles, fire arrows, and flaming ballistas.
The spikes discouraged boarding by "marines". The Turtle ships were pretty darn cool.

Dont't get me wrong.. I'm all about the party at Hampton Roads...

Go see the USS Cairo!

Last edited:
I find the ironclad age fascinating for the incredible variety of types it generated. Between HMS Warrior and the Royal Sovereign class of 1892, the Royal Navy (and many others) built ships in twos or threes with sails, no sail, barbette guns, central battery guns, turreted guns, vanishing guns, low freeboard, high freeboard... almost any mix of characteristics you can think of. The Royal Sovereigns finally established the classic 'pre-dreadnought' layout which lasted until HMS Dreadnought appeared in 1906, and started the trend for the RN to build series of ships to identical designs, each type being a gradual improvement on the last (with the exception of the 2nd class colonial battleships and the 'semi-dreadnought' Lord Nelson' class).

I also find it fascinating that the US were the first to use ironclads in combat, then dropped out of naval construction almost completely for three decades. Neither of the designs that fought at Hampton Roads were widely replicated, the 'monitor' concept only re-appearing in the First World War as a vessel for shore bombardment rater than surface-to-surface combat.

For a short and very readable overview of developments between the launch of the first sea-going armoured warship Gloire in 1859 and the Battle of the Leyte Gulf, which marked the end of the battleship era, I would recommend Battleship by Peter Padfield. Prices from $18 for the new edition on Amazon.com to £2.85 for the old one (which I have) on Amazon.co.uk. Worth every penny IMHO 8)

Yes, once the Dreadnought appeared, every other ship made before was instantly obsolete. Everything made up to that point was suddenly almost useless. I love the Ironclads myself. I love all the different variants made, especially in the Monitor style. Also love the armored sidewheeler frigates.

I think the Royal Sovereigns also made the ironclads obsolete to an extent. Certainly, all other navies copied the design afterwards, following the pattern of two larges guns in a turret at each of end of the ship, and a central battery of smaller guns in a central superstructure. The US did try a few variations, noticeably putting smaller guns in turrets built on top of the main ones, but this was not very successful and was soon abandoned. Look for pictures of USS Virginia (BB-13) if you're interested in how bizarre this looked :lol:

You are right about the USS Virginia looking odd!

Attachments

• BB13-1918.jpg
    BB13-1918.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 69

Users who are viewing this thread

Back