Irrational dislikes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pbehn

Colonel
Oct 30, 2013
On a thread about Thorlifter leaving Saudi Arabia he reminded me of my complete hatred of barbeques. After two years of barbeques around a pool with a bunch of men I had nothing in common with apart from place of work and accommodation I grew to detest everything about them. Do you have any and why?

How can you detest BBQ? There is nothing to dislike about smoked meat...
The clue is in the thread title, after two years of barbeques every Thursday and Friday around a pool that was sometimes so hot you couldn't swim in it with the same males saying the same things it drove me slightly nutz. It is completely irrational, nothing to do with the meat as long as I dont have the charcoal and salad and forced bonhommie. Barbeques just remind me of misery, I am the same with sun loungers, any holiday shot of a pool with sun loungers makes me think "you poor sods"

I get you, and I understood what you meant. I just cant UNDERSTAND it :lol:
You are not meant to, it is irrational, like I detest marble floors, slippery as hell and dangerous when someone is drunk. You don't want to go to hospital in Saudi with a split head while drunk, it could change your whole career. I still hate the stuff while sober in the entrance to an Italian hotel.

Then there is air conditioning, I don't hate air conditioning I hate having to have it 24/7. Any holiday that requires me to need air conditioning is work.

my complete hatred of barbeques.
You Blaspheme!!! BBQ is the food of the Gods.
Now If you REALLY want something to hate: I present you with BEANS AND MO-FOs. Good old C-Rats, nothing like opening a can of "Packaged in 1942" BEANS AND MO-FOs 'cause the REMFs had taken out everything else. Now the Benas and Baby Dicks were not bad and the ham slices and Turkey slices were good as were the fruit cocktail, pound cake, and cinnamon rolls. But we made a solumn vow to find the canning factory that made those Lima Beans and Ham and blow it to bits
0462f8bfa28c1442692323241b9b06b3.jpg

You are not meant to, it is irrational, like I detest marble floors, slippery as hell and dangerous when someone is drunk. You don't want to go to hospital in Saudi with a split head while drunk, it could change your whole career. I still hate the stuff while sober in the entrance to an Italian hotel.

Then there is air conditioning, I don't hate air conditioning I hate having to have it 24/7. Any holiday that requires me to need air conditioning is work.

I'm well aware of it. I spent over a year in the middle east. Hated every minute of it.

As for AC, I love it, but too don't like it all year long. Unfortunately since I live in the very deep south, I am stuck using the AC every damn day!

Agree Pbehn, (except the BBQ part) :D

Everything here is a "sausage fest" - all men, no women. Times are changing though. Even this year in the supermarkets there are more women working than ever. Of course, they are just as lazy as the men and will barely move their arms scanning the groceries. Sometimes their elbows never leave the table. But they want the expats gone now........yeah right. This country would plummet back to the stone ages. These people don't want to work. They just want the title of manager, sit in an office, and surf on their phone. I've never seen a more lazy, self entitled culture. I have talked to Texaco, Exxon, and Dow people that have had to come back to Saudi after finishing their projects because the plants they worked on were falling apart because the """"managers"""" didn't know, didn't learn, and didn't care to fix it or make it operate correctly. (The word "managers" is used with the highest level of sarcasm)

Agree with Adler too. I don't hate it here, but I sure don't like it.

Then their traditional man greeting of 3 kisses to the side cheek and they will just stand there holding hands. I get it that it is their culture, but it just freaks me out. Seeing two men walking across the street holding hands.

And that marble. I agree again. These f'ing f-tards actually put polished marble around the POOL!!!!! Why? Because it looks pretty. That crap is like walking on ice when it's wet. No telling how many people busted their butt before they put a huge rubber mat down that was so rough you couldn't walk on it barefoot. These people don't think. They just go through life blindly just being reactionary to events around them, not planning anything out long term.

***Disclaimer***
I have met some absolutely brilliant middle eastern people, but they are the exception to the rule and guess what......they hate it here too. They are only here because of Islam.

Oh you have got me going now. I come from Northern England as did many of my colleagues, Scotland Wales too, it is where UK refineries and steel making are. Barbeques are not our culture. Give a Brit a barbeque and he mistakes it for a blast furnace. After going through the ritual of competitive fire making and congratulating each other on setting fire to charcoal they then incinerate everything that used to resemble meat. Men used the occasion to demonstrate their organisation and management skills. This of course meant I was eating what someone else wanted at a time someone else wanted to. My dummy finally flew out when someone introduced a seating plan, this reserved all the seats in the shade for the "organiser" and his mates, even when they were in bed sleeping off their hangover.

Agree Pbehn, (except the BBQ part) :D
Then their traditional man greeting of 3 kisses to the side cheek and they will just stand there holding hands. I get it that it is their culture, but it just freaks me out. Seeing two men walking across the street holding hands.
***Disclaimer***
I have met some absolutely brilliant middle eastern people, but they are the exception to the rule and guess what......they hate it here too. They are only here because of Islam.

Nothing funnier than airport security walking hand in hand, rifles hung over the outside shoulder, I always had the impression that if they were attacked they would cuddle each other.

I had a great friend in Saudi, born in Al Khobar he studied English in Norwich, Norfolk and spoke with a perfect Norwich accent, he was married to an English woman and lived in Bahrain, he said he wouldn't bring his wife to live with these "jokers". Those jokers were his own townsmen.

Irrational dislikes. When I was 11 we went camping with the school. After eating a 'huzaren salade' (sorry don't know the English word) I got sick. I've never touched the stuff again since although I liked it before this happened.
There is another, cheap cider. I like most British teenagers got drunk and sick on cider before beer, and when you are ill drinking cider it lasts for days. I have never drunk it again, I cant even stand the smell. It could be called rational to avoid being sick but I never stopped drinking beer or whiskey no matter how sick I got.

I'm the same way Marcel. Over the years my preferred drink has changed a few times. At one time it was a "southern sunrise" which is Southern Comfort and orange juice.

Well, I went to my wife's (ex wife now) 10 year high school reunion in 1997 which was at a hotel. I told her I won't know a single person there so if there is a bar I will be there. You go have fun. So I'm sitting in the bar and slowly other husbands who also didn't know anyone start coming in and we all start to talk. Well, we are POUNDING drinks. The bartender is making them really strong and I'm ordering doubles. I lost count at 19 so probably had about 25. After that things are fuzzy and I don't remember leaving the bar for our hotel room but heard lots of stories.

To this day the smell of orange juice makes me want to throw up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back