Irrational dislikes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

american_bbq_map.jpg

Not much in the way of food I have an irrational dislike of.

Except raw shellfish, especially oysters. Who ever thought that eating something that looked like cow snot was a good idea?

Not much in the way of food I have an irrational dislike of.

Except raw shellfish, especially oysters. Who ever thought that eating something that looked like cow snot was a good idea?

Not the most appetizing looking food, but raw oysters on the half shell are amazing. I can literally eat them by the dozens. That's right DOZENS, not dozen, but dozens.

Most people think they taste all the same, but every region they are from gives them different flavors based off of the water salinity, temperature and so forth. Hmmmm, yeah I love ray oysters on the half shell.

Not the most appetizing looking food, but raw oysters on the half shell are amazing. I can literally eat them by the dozens. That's right DOZENS, not dozen, but dozens.

Most people think they taste all the same, but every region they are from gives them different flavors based off of the water salinity, temperature and so forth. Hmmmm, yeah I love ray oysters on the half shell.

It's a weird and irrational dislike. Probably 99% of the people I know like or love oysters, including all my immediate family and their spouses. Every seafood place with a raw bar -- and there are a lot in New England -- will have a list of oysters and their provenance. Heck, there are oyster boats running out of my home town.

I'll just not add to the demand. Think of it as my small contribution to making oysters more affordable to those who like them.

It's a weird and irrational dislike. Probably 99% of the people I know like or love oysters, including all my immediate family and their spouses. Every seafood place with a raw bar -- and there are a lot in New England -- will have a list of oysters and their provenance. Heck, there are oyster boats running out of my home town.

I'll just not add to the demand. Think of it as my small contribution to making oysters more affordable to those who like them.

My wife hates them raw as well. I'm okay with that. I love when that nice tray topped with ice comes out to the table with a dozen half shells on it, the sweet smell of the ocean fills my nose. Hmmm, I need to go and get some oysters at lunch tomorrow.

My favorite so far have come from the Maine region.

I agree, but in France I could never get my tongue around the name. Many French menus serve them in batches of eight which means it is huit huîtres, your attempt will probably be better than mine, waiters just walked away smiling.

I agree, but in France I could never get my tongue around the name. Many French menus serve them in batches of eight which means it is huit huîtres, your attempt will probably be better than mine, waiters just walked away smiling.

I har some great ones in Caen actually.

Last edited:
Well I worked for ages in Rouen, which is close. It is now seen as a French dish but in the past Oysters were everyday food in UK especially London.

Fortunately there is not a place here on the coast that does not have them.

I guess my irrational dislikes:

Clowns - Thanks "It" (Enough said...;))

American Drivers - Can't drive worth shit, because they were taught to drive by their parents who were only taught by their parents who themselves were taught by their parents. All that is happening is bad habits are being passed on.

There are worse drivers out there (Italy, Greece, The whole Middle East, etc.), but for crying out loud my fellow Americans learn to drive!

Oh and while we are at it, service up your turn signal fluid. :D

American Drivers - Can't drive worth shit, because they were taught to drive by their parents who were only taught by their parents who themselves were taught by their parents. All that is happening is bad habits are being passed on.

Not all "professionals" are quite up to standards either. I remember over 30 years ago taking one of my sisters out to practice after her allotted 6 hours of "on the road" time had been used up in her high school drivers-ed class. She came to a complete stop in a 45mph zone before making a right turn into a deserted parking lot and I found out she had never driven more than 25mph. We spent a period of time in that deserted parking lot having her push harder on the gas and brake than she had before and giving the steering wheel a few hard jerks just so she would see how the car would react. Not racing but just trying to get over her timidity at the controls that might lead her to not stop/avoid an accident.

I have an irrational hatred of the one guy at every wedding i do that is having a baaarbie or grill (depending on which bit of the colonies your from :lol: ) who must come over when i am setting up and procede to tell me how he does his BBQ at home !

"Yes Sir i reply, thats a great idea and will work wonderfully when cooking for six but i am catering for 200 of you f###ers whilst also running a restaurant kitchen all while following a draconian set of health and safety rules, son if you would kindly piss off and let me get on with it it would be much appreciated"

Last edited:
Not all "professionals" are quite up to standards either. I remember over 30 years ago taking one of my sisters out to practice after her allotted 6 hours of "on the road" time had been used up in her high school drivers-ed class. She came to a complete stop in a 45mph zone before making a right turn into a deserted parking lot and I found out she had never driven more than 25mph. We spent a period of time in that deserted parking lot having her push harder on the gas and brake than she had before and giving the steering wheel a few hard jerks just so she would see how the car would react. Not racing but just trying to get over her timidity at the controls that might lead her to not stop/avoid an accident.

See, I don't concider Drivers Ed in school professional. Just more passing on of bad habits.

To get my drivers license in Germany, I had to go through a 3 month driving course that included class room training, Autobahn Driving, Inclement WX Driving, Emergency Stoppages, City Driving, Night Driving, First Aid, etc.

I am a firm believer in Official Driving Schools.

To drive (get a license) a Fire truck I had to parallel park it, do a 90 degree backing turn into a pretend loading dock like a delivery truck and back it up straight for around 100ft. On the road I just didn't have to cross over the line or cut the corners.

We practiced emergency stops on rare occasions behind the fire house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back