is Future/Klear still available in UK/Scotland?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The bottle on the left is about 10 years old. The one on the right only about 2 months. I haven't really noticed a difference between the two.

Attachments

• PB095741.JPG
    PB095741.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 118
Evan, to apply KK (or PVA) to a window opening, whatever shape, is simple. Just use a cocktail stick, or similar, and create a film across the opening, moving the stick around until a membrane is formed. If you want futrher info, with drawings, maybe photos, let me know.

T-Bolt just saw some new bottles at Walmart. they look like a cross between the two. The Pledge is bigger and across the top. The Future is a bit smaller and across the center of the label. I suspect that too many people were confused thinking that it was just another wax product

More confusion. Here's my bottle of original UK Klear. Many years old and nearing the bottom. You'll be lucky to find this nowadays. I've got a couple of bottles stashed away which,at the rate I use it,will see me out.

IMG_4751.gif

Cheers
Steve

if you check my post #8 you have a number of options to get more if you cannot find it locally or you may be able to track it down in its new disguise as Pledge multi-surface wax, which it is not, wax that is

Attachments

• uk_pledge_multisurfacewax-213x300.jpg
    uk_pledge_multisurfacewax-213x300.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Yes I'm aware of the replacement Klear. I've received mixed opinions on it,though generally people seem to think that it works. It isn't the same as original Klear,a quick sniff will confirm that! You are right that it certainly isn't wax.
Johnsons have put out conflicting information,initially saying it was a new 'formulation' and later seeming to say that it was the same as the old stuff,despite the nice perfume.
Cheers
Steve

Stona- apologies on the above post. The Johnson site insists that there is no difference. They lie. I finally came up with an ingedent list for the "new" formulation.
#2 is a butyl acrylate/methacrylic copolymer which would be the Klear acrylic
#3 is oxidized polyethylene which is a synthetic wax
Several glycols to prevent rapid drying out and several rosins (varnish)
2 strong bases Ammonium hydroxide and Potassium hydroxide which are there because of:
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (soap), Limonene (orange oil, cleaner), Sodium dodecylbenzenesolfonate (detergent)
and a number of Parfums (fragrant oils, perfume
So it is indeed a CLEANER and contains Wax hence the milky color of the suspended wax crystals

Mike, would you know if the 'milky' initial appearance, as seen in the bottle, has any possibility of returning at some time after drying? This would probably not be apparent on a floor, but on the small-scale areas we use it on, could be a major problem ! I have yet to use the 'new' stuff, still having a bottle of the original, as shown in the pic posted by Steve.

Wow,well done Mike,that is very interesting. Not sure what you are apologising about though! Anyway it's good to have confirmation that Johnsons are being 'economical with the truth'.
I know people who have used this new formula and reckon it works okay despite the alterations. I've also seen positive comments about the 'Quick Shine' I posted a link to. I haven't used it myself but it seems to be very similar to the old Klear/Future.
I have heard,though I don't believe it, that some people use these products on their floors :)
Cheers
Steve

Terry, I have seen various post about this and most seem to agree that on small areas, i.e. cockpits it dries clear. on larger areas it seems to run much quicker and tends to form small bubble-like imperfections. The model railroad people swear by its ability to "glue" track together. The milky appearance is from suspended micro-particles of wax which if properly coated with resin will not further oxidize. Personally too many IFs for me

Thanks Mike. And I can vouch for it being a good glue - stuck half the contents of my desk down when I knocked over a bottle! Took brute force to get everything unstuck !

Here in Spain we have good wax floors and pvc laminated green forest is like a little less strong in the last batch they have made but which bears the same cyano, gives the same brightness as the Klear or pledge as I have three, there is still some in stock in gibraltar Klear which is where I got it.
I put a photo of the wax that I comment:

pict0402qp9.jpg

for something like 2 € more or less

I think I've found a product that works for me + I revised the way I work with it a little bit to my own preferences. The main reason I got into trouble with my older bottle of klear/future like product was wrong storage (in the burning sun) and a cap that didn't quite close the bottle up very well. It seems over time the contents of the bottle thickened up slightly. So I got me a new bottle (with revised formula that is) and when used for clear parts I thin the stuff a tad more with some Windex..all to great results (for a start on my Tomahawk on which I managed to get good results in three different session of dipping a clearpart in it) Problem solved I guess :)

I take it evreyone has seen this link:
The Complete Future

I did speak to one of the stall traders (alternative Tamiya tape, brushes, filler, some decals etc) at the IPMS show last month in Telford, Shropshire (for those of you in the Uk) and he said ProModeller had done a test on the new Pledge Klear replacement product and found it to be 'safe' to use with good, if not identical, results to the original Klear product.

Good to hear the 'new' stuff works ok H.
Now, what's this alternative Tamiya tape? I used to get the stuff years ago, from one of my customers in the graphics industry, and it was a lot cheaper than the Tamiya product which, no doubt, is the same Kibutu (?) tape with their mark-up added. Since retiring due to disability, I've lost touch with these suppliers, and doubt they still have it these days, with most pre-press work now being digital.

Been out all afternoon shopping with HWMBO - (still bought a copy of MA International though). It's the Tristar masking tape. A 5.9mm W x 18m roll was £2.00 and a 30mm W x 18m roll was about £3.00 (price label missing and going on memory). I've just been to the website [Tristar-model.com] but it seems to be mostly under contruction; still active? - don't know. Looking at some websites just now price comparisons vary, but there were no postage charges to pick up of course. Given that it sometimes feels I've chewed through a roll quite quickly at times (despite finding re-uses for 'clean' bits) my best deal was for some 40mm Tamiya tape (a bogof deal) on Evilbay, believe it or not, from Hong Kong.

Cheers mate. Fortunately, my LHS now stock Tamiya refills, at around £1.99 for a 10mm width - almost half the price of the one in the dispenser. Great, just keep the empty dispensers!

Yup - a lot a to be said for going with your local hobby/hardware store when they offer reasonable prices. Back to the Future [crass] - if one of us was to to do a lorry load deal with someone on a forgotten batch, and then share it out - that would be very fortunate.

Last edited:
Having been out the modelling loop for about 7 yrs and just got back into the game, I was pleased today to find that my old bottle of Klear was still under my mums kitchen sink cupboard and not used for it's intended purpose of a floor polish. Three quarters full so should last a while, it was quickly put in the boot of the car and brought home.

I was in our local Tesco Extra the other day and was having a look for the Pledge floor wax but couldn't find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back