Is Spitfire relly superior to FW-190?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
plan_D said:
Yeah, what a dumber he was. :lol:

If I was in his shoes, I would happily prefer imprisonment in Britain, rather than facing the squadron commander at home ! :shock: :lol:

I don't actually know, I was making the statement to get the views out of others.

So, is there a consensus here regarding to my question of "Is Spit. superior to Fw-190"?

My opion is that both fighters are close in terms of technical aspect, but Spit is much easy to fly than any German counterparts. In other words, it take less time to train a fresh airmen than in Fw-190.

It depends on the model. You can not compare a Spitfire XIV to an early 190A. Comparing a XIV to a 190A-4 is like comparing a Sherman to a Tiger or a Fw-190D-9 to a Spitfire Mk. V.

You compare a XIV to a A-8 or A-9 and you have a fight. You compare it to a D-9 and I think the compariosn would deffinatly swing in favor of the 190. If you compare it to a Ta-152H (which was basically an evolution of the D-9) then then the Spit is out of the competition.

The Spitfire Mk.XIV would be able to cope with any Fw-190A and it would come down to pilot skill against the D-9. To compare the Spitfire XIV against the Ta-152 is a little unfair as it did see service but the Spitfire XVIII was coming into service by the end of the war. XVIII against Ta152 would be better.

"It is an evolution of it but it is not a Butcher Bird."

How did Fw-190 got its nickname as infamous Butcher Bird?

How about Spit? Did German had name for Spit.?

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
I agree with Lanc here it is technically not a Fw-190. It is an evolution of it but it is not a Butcher Bird.

Its a Focke Wulf aircraft, and of the same basic design as the 190D. I don't see why we can't count it in aswell....

I basically see the Ta-152 as a Fw-190 just with a longer wing-span, as that's basically what it was...

However I do see that it isn't a designated "190", so there you have a point as it is a "190 vs Spit" thread.

So it depends are we going to rely on written designations as a criteria, or the technical aspect ?

plan_D said:
The Spitfire Mk.XIV would be able to cope with any Fw-190A and it would come down to pilot skill against the D-9. To compare the Spitfire XIV against the Ta-152 is a little unfair as it did see service but the Spitfire XVIII was coming into service by the end of the war. XVIII against Ta152 would be better.

I really dont see any Spitfire hanging with a Ta-152. Dont take me wrong the Spitfire XVIII would have been great just like the other Spitfires but I think the Ta-152 was the cream of the crop for the time. The 152 had more room then the Spitfire to evolve. And as for the XIV agains the a 190A, you can not imply that the Spitfire would easily do away with it. The 190A was still a very formidable aircraft up until wars end and could do away with a XIV just as well. It too would have been pilot skill.

Soren said:
Its a Focke Wulf aircraft, and of the same basic design as the 190D. I don't see why we can't count it in aswell....

I basically see the Ta-152 as a Fw-190 just with a longer wing-span, as that's basically what it was...

However I do see that it isn't a designated "190", so there you have a point as it is a "190 vs Spit" thread.

So it depends are we going to rely on written designations as a criteria, or the technical aspect ?

I completey agree with your point but I just agree with Lanc that it should stick to pure 190's. Now a 152 against lets say Spit XIV and higher may be an interesting thread to start up also.

Chiron said:
"It is an evolution of it but it is not a Butcher Bird."

How did Fw-190 got its nickname as infamous Butcher Bird?

How about Spit? Did German had name for Spit.?

I am not really sure but here is what I have read on some websites and in some books. Personally I think the name fits, she was a powerful and deadly aircraft.

The "FW-190-V1" (V1 meaning "Versuchs 1 / Prototype 1") flew from the Bremen airport on 1 June 1939 with test pilot Hans Sander at the controls. Tank himself, a skilled pilot and definitely a "hands-on" engineer, performed some of the test flights. He gave the machine the name "Wuerger (Butcher Bird / Shrike)".
http://www.vectorsite.net/avfw190.html

i'd put the butcher bird name down to it's heavy armourment, that's just my thought.........

and the Ta-152 IS NOT a Fw-190, as the designations are different, we do not count the seafire in this do we?? the seafire was essentially a spitfire, however it's a different plane because of slight differences and different designation.............

cheddar cheese said:
I think th Ta-152 is more closely related to the 190D than the 190D is to the 190A. I think it could be included...

This I agree with. The A had a radial and the Dora and the 152 had inline engines. But I do somewhat agree with Lanc in the fact that it really isn't a 190.

The Spitfire XIV was superior to the Fw-190A in almost every aspect. It would be pilot skill on the Germans part if he could survive.

The Ta-152 was developed from the Fw-190C and the abandoned Ta-153 proposal... A long nose derivative of the Dora, powered with the Jumo 213E-1...

The Ta part of the Ta-152 was changed from the Fw to honor Kurt Tank, the designer of the -190... The beginnings of the Ta-152 design are tracked back to the Fw-190Ra-2 and Ra-3, which were based on the Fw-190D abd the Jumo 213 engine... The second phase was the Fw-190Ra-4D...

Those first 2 aircraft were renamed the Ta-152B and the Ta-152H... The Ra-4D was renamed the Ta-153...

I regard the Ta-152 as the next generation of the Dora and as such, part of the -190 family....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back