Italian Ace and rumors

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They thought Patton was a crazy bird too. He thought he was a rencarnated warrior from Roman Empire era. He threw caution to the wind in his tactics too. Just like Beurling. I wouldn't say his opinions on the Germans as adversares had to be discounted. Wouild you?

Jank said:
They thought Patton was a crazy bird too. He thought he was a rencarnated warrior from Roman Empire era. He threw caution to the wind in his tactics too. Just like Beurling. I wouldn't say his opinions on the Germans as adversares had to be discounted. Wouild you?
To a point!!!

Magister said:
Ah yes, how could I forget his delusional reincarnation fantasy.

Exactly my point Jank.

Mine too - Could you imagine Patton in the post war years?!?! Here George, here's a nuke, don't use it unless we tell you!!! :eeeeek:

U guys are comparing apples to tomatoes, Buerling to Patton.... Patton was a fine combat commander, Buerling was a nutjob....

And Beurling was a fine combat fighter pilot.

The comparison is whether Patton and Beurling, both being "nut jobs" in their own right, are qualified to render credible opinions regarding their adversaries.

Both are shall we say, colorful individuals, which doesn't detract in the slightest from Beutling's assessment of the Italians or Patton's assessment of Rommel, Montgomery or the Germans as fighting soldiers.

I wouldn't take Patton's opinion on the German forces too seriously.

Do you even know what you are talking about?

Patton thought very highly of the Germans as fighting soldiers. Which opinions of Patton concerning the Germans would you say shouldn't be taken too seriously?

Patton was a fine commander but had some traits that might of been a problem had he lived in the post war years. I think he might of suffered a similar fate as MacArthur or even worse. How do you think he would of took to the Soviet Blockade of Berlin in 1948?

Buerling was a fine pilot but definitely a nut job. I'd have a hard time separating fact from fantasy when dealing with him...

Interesting how you say that Patton just "had traits that might have been a problem" but Beurling couldn't separate fact from fantasy.

Having a very high tolerance to risk and shooting lizards with a pistol for kicks does not make you incapable of separating fact from fantasy. Proclaiming that you are reincarnated however ... now that's an inability to separate fact from fantasy. In addition, Paton also had a very high tolerance to risk. He just risked his soldiers though!

Had you been a green fighter pilot in Beurling's outfit. I suspect that you would have concluded that you could learn a great deal from him on tactics and what the Germans and Italians are like as adversaries.

Anyway, I think this discussion has run its course.

Magister said:
Interesting how you say that Patton just "had traits that might have been a problem" but Beurling couldn't separate fact from fantasy.

Having a very high tolerance to risk and shooting lizards with a pistol for kicks does not make you incapable of separating fact from fantasy.
No but saying you're going to steal a spitfire and fly it to Israel is another story. His antics aren't limited to shooting lizards..

Magister said:
Proclaiming that you are reincarnated however ... now that's an inability to separate fact from fantasy. In addition, Paton also had a very high tolerance to risk. He just risked his soldiers though!
I could agree
Magister said:
Had you been a green fighter pilot in Beurling's outfit. I suspect that you would have concluded that you could learn a great deal from him on tactics and what the Germans and Italians are like as adversaries.
Absolutely - at the same time I would of looked at how reckless is was...
Magister said:
Anyway, I think this discussion has run its course.
Agree!

Do you even know what YOU'RE talking about Magister? Patton thought the Germans were good, yes, but he thought he was better. Which is wrong, wrong, wrong. And his opinion on the British and Russians ... well, that's just a joke.

I'll tell you who you should take seriously, the Germans because they have nothing to gain or lose. In fact, the Germans do the best take on Allied and Soviet commanders and fighting soldiers.

And just because someone thought they were "good" doesn't mean you go into an argument saying "Patton thought they were good," - Why were they good, Magister? Where were they good? Who where they good against? How would Patton know how the Germans acted against Soviets?

Patton was a General Officer, having served in the military for decades.... Buerling was a pilot... BIG difference...

I think it hilarious that u meatballs are trying to convince us that Buerling wasnt a psycho.... He was... Plain and simple, end of story, all remaining arguments are moot....

lesofprimus said:
Patton was a General Officer, having served in the military for decades.... Buerling was a pilot... BIG difference...

I think it hilarious that u meatballs are trying to convince us that Buerling wasnt a psycho.... He was... Plain and simple, end of story, all remaining arguments are moot....

He almost got his hands on a Mustang had he lived and got to Israel. His COs thought he go off and chase Jerries across Europe. Had he gotten to the Middle East in 48 god knows what he would of done!!!

The man was nuts!!!

shooting lizards sounds like a good way to pratice shooting they're definately not slow and as for stealing an a/c to help the israelis is news to me I'm aware he was on his way there in 48 . He was in my mind a human fire control system definately one of the best if not the best aerial gunners amongst the allies

pbfoot said:
shooting lizards sounds like a good way to pratice shooting they're definately not slow and as for stealing an a/c to help the israelis is news to me I'm aware he was on his way there in 48 . He was in my mind a human fire control system definately one of the best if not the best aerial gunners amongst the allies

When he got picked up to go to Israel he told many folks that he was a mercenary. If you believe the theory that the aircraft he died in was sabotoged, it is also believed that becuase of his openness of what he was doing , it led to Arab agents to kill him - if you believe those stories...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back