Italian Stukas colors (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PonyOne

Airman
Mar 21, 2019
Hi all
I am looking or information on JU872 Stukas that were flown by the Regia Aeronautica.
Specifically the color scheme, as I understand it, the color of the aircraft did differ from that of the original factory paint. Was it one main color? two or three tone? The typical Italian green shade? I don't know, I am turning to your expertise for education on this subject.
Any help is greatly appreciated

Italian Ju-87s wore the German factory camo consisted of RLM70/71/65 colours. There were traces of overpainted German national and Nazi insignias often. As memo serves.

According to some sources, some Ju87s were factory painted in RLM79 Sandgelb though I don't know if that's true.

All the profiles in this book show a single dark colour. I'm busy packing and preparing for nightshift. When I get off in the morning I'll look more closely and see if I can find some camo info

1625684430830.png

Thank you all.
by the way the reference to RLM70/71/65 colours is not a modelling paint, is it?
Is the reference to RLM70/71/65 colours the real color codes used in the 1940s?

Yes, the RLM numbers are the real color codes used at that time.

RLM 70 Schwartzgrün
RLM 71 Dunkelgrün
RLM 65 Hellblau

Thank you, I appreciate the effort.

From my copy of Junkers Ju 87 1936-1945 by Herbert Leonard and Andre Jouineau comes this caption to a profile illustration: "Original German camouflage upper surfaces RLM 70 and 71, lower surfaces RLM 65 [as Wurger stipulates above]. Originally the 96 Gruppo was to have been equipped with the SM.85, a bomber which turned out to be totally unsuitable and was replaced by Ju 87Bs which made up two Gruppi (96 and 97); the machines initially came from German stocks and their nationality markings were as here, washed off (with verde oliva scuro - dark olive green - and grigio azurro chiaro - light sky blue) and replaced those of their new owners. Strangely enough, the Italian Stukas were never painted in desert camouflage schemes and flew in their original colours."

This is confirmed in Regia Aeronautica The Italian Air Force 1923 - 1945: An Operational History by Chris Dunning, which states "The 99 Ju 87s acquired (B-1; B-2/Trop; R-1; R-2) retained their original RLM 70/71 splinter scheme throughout their Italian career."

Italian Stukas were called 'Picchiatelli', or 'Crazy Divers' for a close translation.

Last edited:
What paint are you going to use?
I have a good supply of Model Masters, I know they are going to be obsolete but I am looking into whatever decent modelling enamel paint is out there eventually; so I have dozens of greens and blues and grays, tans and a good mix of colors under the rainbow; 180 or so

The MM enamels aren't obsolete. I have had a couple of them and must admit they worked very fine for me. A bit too deep matt causing too much " heavy" appearance I would say but fine.

RLM 70 - ModelMaster 2080 enamel or the acrylic paint 4780
RLM 71 - ModelMaster 2081 enamel or the acrylic paint 4781
RLM 65 - ModelMaster 2078 enamel or the acrylic paint 4778

The MM enamels aren't obsolete. I have had a couple of them and must admit they worked very fine for me. A bit too deep matt causing too much " heavy" appearance I would say but fine.

RLM 70 - ModelMaster 2080 enamel or the acrylic paint 4780
RLM 71 - ModelMaster 2081 enamel or the acrylic paint 4781
RLM 65 - ModelMaster 2078 enamel or the acrylic paint 4778
Thank you for the references, this will make life a lot easier; I appreciate your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back