Italy v. England - Air to air

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DAVIDICUS

Staff Sergeant
Feb 23, 2005
At the point in time when Italy surrendered in September of 1943, did England have combat operational fighter aircraft that were superior to ther best combat operational aircraft of Italy?

The fighters were probably a good match for each other except there weren't too many of the 5 Series around compared to Spits and Tiffies. The Italian bomber force was puny in comparison and all the Italian cities (with the factories in) would have been flattened

But this is just fighter vs. fighter.

Which British planes were better than the Italian Series 5 aircraft?

before the italian surrender?? the spitfire, hurricane, gloster gladiator, mosquito, and yes, the Skua and the Roc were all better fighters than anything the italians had................

While you're at it, you forgot to mention that the Brits are impervious to gingivitis too.

I thing we had an experimental Halitosis cannon on trial but the barrel kept melting .
At least none of the British aircraft had reverse gear for pronto pronto escape

I was merely poking fun at Lanc for the audacious statemant that the Hurricane, Goster Gladiator, Skua, etc. were better than the Series 5 fighters.

Halitosis Cannon? Isn't that a cigar?

I thought the Brits had a patent on reverse gear mechanisms that they perfected during their run ins with Rommel.

Seriously though, did the Brits field anything by September of '43 that was a better air to air machine than the Series 5's?

Nope the english did not.

The Fiat G.55, Reggiane 2005 and the Macchi 202 / 205 we far superior to anything the brits had. As for the old Italians and reverse gear gag, you need to be reminded that that was a piece of propaganda designed for the British Home Front.

Where they were adequately supplied, the Italians were the match for anyone.

All photos and infromation from http://www.comandosupremo.com/Air.html

kiwimac said, "you need to be reminded that that was a piece of propaganda designed for the British Home Front. "

Kind of like that propoganda about oral hygeine being unnecessary and toothpaste being poisonous.

I don't need reminding Kiwimac
The British did'nt actually believe the propaganda and thought that of the Italians. (it was tanks anyway 3 forward and 10 reverse), what did become apparent was that large numbers of Italian troops did not favour Mussolini and so where selective in their application of force against the enemy however the Italian mountain troops and their naval divers where amongst the elite units of WW2.
As for the teeth thing Dave that is not propaganda
Imagine the scenario two units one British army commandos one United States Rangers.
Night attack. creepy creepy towards the enemy.
Suddenly a search light scans the area commandos black and manky teeth blend effortlessly into the night while US gleaming gnashers light up like cats eyes. Bingo position compromised Ranges wiped out all because of dental hygiene

I don't know about you guys, but I think given the chance, this guy would of wiped out the whole Italian AF in 30 days!

SCREWBALL GEORGE - WHAT A CHARACTER

Buzz Beurling, Canada's leading WWII ace. His skill in a cockpit was, however, matched with a streak of rebelliousness and disrespect for authority. He had two nicknames: "Buzz" for his habit of unauthorized low-level flying and "Screwball" for his erratic behavior. At one point he even designed his own uniform!

32 total kills, In 14 days of combat on Malta against the Italians, he destroyed 27 enemy planes, damaged eight, and probably destroyed three more.

Attachments

• beurlingmalta_173_336.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 933
The Italians fielded many really poor, obsolete aircraft like the Fiat CR-42's (a biplane) and Re-2000's.

The "Falcon of Malta" flew a Spitfire. Definitely no contest there. Not that he didn't also shoot down his share of MC-202's. He was a confident and daring pilot.

"Beurling waxed hot and cold on his Italian opponents. In a 1943 interview he referred to the Italians as 'ice-cream merchants', saying

'The Eyeties are comparatively easy to shoot down. Oh, they're brave enough. In fact, I think the Eyeties have more courage than the Germans, but their tactics aren't so good. They are very good gliders, but they try to do clever acrobatics and looping. But they will stick it even if things are going against them, whereas the Jerries will run.'"

He shot down Italy's top ace who was flying a Macchi Mc-202 Veltro depicted below.

Users who are viewing this thread