J2M Raiden Jack vs. P-38J

Which plane would outmatch the other?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If Japan has more and better fuel then they will have more and better pilot training. The same holds true for Germany.

If Japan has more and better fuel then they will have more and better pilot training. The same holds true for Germany.
How do you rationalize that? Just because you have better or more fuel doesn't mean you're going to have better trained pilots. It depends how new pilots are being taught to fly and what type of combat training they are receiving. Time in the air is a big factor but if the pilots aren't receiving training to meet the combat need, then all the fuel in the world isn't going to help.

Hi folks,

For what it's worth, the Germans at least typically used fuel that was quite high in octane. Their C3 fuel was nominally only 96 or 100 octane, but was much superior to the US 100 octane fuel. Look for the flight testing of FW 190 EB-104 - 140 grade fuel was used because it was equivalent to the German fuel. It is superior to 130 grade (100 octane). The numbers vary a little from what we expect because there are two octane ratings for a given fuel (calculated for running at rich and lean mixtures). There is also the question of whether the numbers being quoted are Research or Motor octane.

Consider also that the power output of an engine isn't going to change much if you put in higher octane fuel unless you are going to change the ignition timing or supercharger boost settings.

Yes, I know that most cars don't have superchargers, but has anyone here noticed performance improvements by using a higher grade of pump gas? I have a car that NEEDS premium, but my other car pretty much drives the same with whatever I put in. Consider that these are modern cars with computers that probably retard timing based on sensors detecting detonation and that computer controls are much more sophisticated than mechanical controls from the 1940's.

- Ivan.

Hi Welch,

>Who do you think could win?

Here is a comparison based on TAIC data for the J2M2. Note that the engine rating given for example here ...

The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia: J2M "Jack", Japanese Fighter

... is a bit lower than TAIC MIL, which would result in reduced climb and turn rates (assuming that the 650 km/h @ 6.2 km top speed was valid for whatever engine was installed).

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• J2M_vs-P-38_speed_comparison.png
    J2M_vs-P-38_speed_comparison.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 130
  • J2M_vs-P-38_climb_comparison.png
    J2M_vs-P-38_climb_comparison.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 127
  • J2M_vs-P-38_turn_comparison.png
    J2M_vs-P-38_turn_comparison.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 120