Jan Zumbach....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
en951_zps4qh4xreq.jpg

Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vb, EN951, RF-D
303 Sqn, Sqn Ldr Jan Zumbach OC, Kirton-in-Lindsey, late 1942...

Having the Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk. Vb for Jan Zumbach, I thought that I'd add his Mustang III as well to the stash...

Was P-51 Mustang III, JZ, HB868, his only Mustang and did it ever wear invasion stripes?

preview_north-american-p-51-b-c-mustang-iii_src_1_zpsjyonzdkb.jpg

Last edited:
For decals of all scales of the Wing Commander Jan Zumbach's Mustang III HB861 in August of 1944, you may try to buy the AJ-Press book...

polishmustangunitsbookreviewrk_1.jpg

polishmustangunitsbookreviewrk_2.jpg

Undoubtedly he flew a P-11 because he was a fighter pilot of the 111 Squadron in Warsaw. However he crashed his plane on May the 26th , 1939 while landing at the Warsaw airfield. So, the beginning of the September campaign he spent in a hospital. Then , because of impossibility of finding of his unit , Zumbach went to Romania on September the 17th and via the country and Beirut he reached France finally. As memo serves, markings of his P-11 have never been mentioned.

Aaah....thanks Sire!
One of his Spitfire and Mustangs will be plenty!
Any idea if No. 303 Squadron Mustangs had invasion stripes?

The 303 Squadron was rearmed with Mustangs in April 1945. On the D-day ( 6.06.1944 ) the squadron was still using Spitfire Mk.Vb. In the mid of the July 1944 they started rearming with Mk.IX. So no invasion stripes on Mustangs.

They got Mustang IVs and according to my knowledge , they have never been using the Mustang III. However a couple of Mustnag IVs was wearing of the RAF camo scheme colours. The rest was of NMF.

But you can follow Skalski's Mustang III.

Skalski_Mustang_III.jpg

They got Mustang IVs and according to my knowledge , they have never been using the Mustang III. However a couple of Mustnag IVs was wearing of the RAF camo scheme colours. The rest was of NMF.

But you can follow Skalski's Mustang III.

Skalski_Mustang_III.jpg

Isn't Jan Zumbach's Mustang a III? :confused: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back