Jan Zumbach....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes it does. The oxide-steel badge for pilots and the golden one for navigators.

You are almost right Terry. These lightning bolts represented using of the spark-gap transmitter for radio communication initially. I'm sure you remember that first planes were of the recce type mostly and two-seaters usually. A pilot was a "driver" only and was a non-commissioned officer usually. His main task was to control a plane and just fly. Therefore the pilot's badge is of steel colour. A navigator-observer was an officer always. He was responsible for not only navigation, reconnaissance but also for communication. These lightning bolts were copied from the Austrian badges. Later , when the radar was introduced, these lightning bolts became symbol of the radar signals.

And yes I have the Master Navigator grade for the military occupation specialty. Also I have the same grade as a military airtraffic controller. But there is no badge for this specialty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back