Japan and Japanese (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Last edited:
Tokyo Electric Power Corps aka TEPCO Unveils Equipment for Fukushima Dai-ichi's Water Release

Interestingly, S.Korean media is very nervous about this event when the ocean current will be toward Kamchatka or Hawaii though I don't trust TEPCO and our government's promise for safety either. They promised the safety of Fukushima Dai-ichi half a century ago when they built it but it was a false.

Japanese media reports few but S.Korea

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbTGwUIHP_I

True or not, when American meets Japanese in the US.

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/dd7JRWNXRu8
Shinpachi, @ 0:02 the girl says something like "aru-aru" with a kind of scary face. What does it mean?
I am a great fan of those old Japanese samurai-movies with Toshiro Mifune. I can't quote it but I'm almost sure he uses a similar phrase almost everywhere. As a youngster and then teenager, when I saw those movies for the first time, I was thinking he's saying "Vara-vara" or "Wara-wara", a "magic" samurai-slogan.
BTW Mifune served with the IJAF - I don't think many people know this.
Cheers!

You have good ears and eyes with a keen question, CATCH22

The aru-aru (有-有) is a slang and means 'Yes, there ARE as you expect!'
If it was English, it would be coincidently 'Are-are' or '10 things Americans can do' in this case.

'Vara-vara' would be 'Bara-bara' which means 'scattered' or 'undisciplined'.

I am a great fan of those old Japanese samurai-movies with Toshiro Mifune.
One of my all time favorite movies is "Heaven and Earth".

It almost has a flavor of Akira Kurosawa's direction.

Thank you very much, Shinpachi!
I see now: what I remember from the movies and what the girl was saying are probably two completely different words. It's quite possible I remembered it all wrong - I watched those samurai-movies long time ago. But what brought the memory back was the face expression. Mifune speaks with short sentences and always makes scary faces with his eyes "popping out". I must check some of his early movies and find a good example.
Cheers!

A statistic that is indicative of some aspects of Japanese culture.

from Wiki:

According to a report published by the Bank of Korea in 2008 that looked at 41 countries, there were 5,586 companies older than 200 years. Of these, 3,146 (56%) are in Japan, 837 (15%) in Germany, 222 (4%) in the Netherlands, and 196 (3%) in France.

A nationwide Japanese survey counted more than 21,000 companies older than 100 years as of September 30, 2009.

"List of oldest companies - Wikipedia"

Wow!

Users who are viewing this thread