Japan and Japanese

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

re the Tatsuta River turning green

Apparently the culprit was a fluorescent colouring agent used in various items. As mentioned in the article linked above by Shinpachi, it is sometimes used in bath salts. It is also used in many other items for colour, including as a tracing agent for detecting where water is coming from, and as the main colouring agent used in modern emergency sea markers (at least the green ones).

We are in the flood season.

Flood control by new dam confirmed working well in Kumamoto.
The Tateno Dam Construction Office in Kumamoto Prefecture carried out flood control by storing water in the dam from June 30 to July 3. A maximum of about 260 tons per second from the dam to the Shirakawa River downstream was cut off to prevent the flood.

Tateno_Dam.jpg

Kumamon
Kumamon.jpg

re the Tatsuta River turning green

Apparently the culprit was a fluorescent colouring agent used in various items. As mentioned in the article linked above by Shinpachi, it is sometimes used in bath salts. It is also used in many other items for colour, including as a tracing agent for detecting where water is coming from, and as the main colouring agent used in modern emergency sea markers (at least the green ones).
We used to use fluorescene to trace the path of underground rivers back when I was a caver. It isn't necessary to turn water an emerald green; the fluorescene glows brightly under UV light even in tiny concentrations.

A question for Shinpachi- How was the Clint Eastwood movie "Letters From Iwo Jima" received by ordinary people in Japan? It was popular and well thought of here but I have often wondered about its reception by the Japanese people.

In the film, I noticed a reference to the Kempeitai. When we lived in Tokyo after the war, 1947 to 1950, we knew a few Japanese families very well; one family's father told us that he had been a machine gunner during the war and had been home on leave visiting his family and had told them that as far as he could tell, the war was lost. Unknown to the family, a member of the Kempeitai had crawled up under their house and was listening to what he was saying. He was arrested, charged with "making unpatriotic statements", and sent to prison until the war ended- which probably saved his life.

View: https://youtu.be/QUqYEmZTXuw

A question for Shinpachi- How was the Clint Eastwood movie "Letters From Iwo Jima" received by ordinary people in Japan? It was popular and well thought of here but I have often wondered about its reception by the Japanese people.
As long as I recall, "Letters from Iwo Jima" and "The Pacific" were popular with those who were interested in the history or the military equipments but ordinary people simply because Japanese introduced in these movies didn't look "cool". So was "Unbroken" because it was too artistic.

As long as I recall, "Letters from Iwo Jima" and "The Pacific" were popular with those who were interested in the history or the military equipments but ordinary people simply because Japanese introduced in these movies didn't look "cool". So was "Unbroken" because it was too artistic.
That is usually the response of young people. They feel they have to be "entertained" all the time, otherwise it is boring. Too bad.

Yes, the guy of long hairs who was to be arrested soon would be one of supporters of Tetsuya Yamagami -the assailant of Mr. Abe.
Oh, my apologies - I'm on my cellphone and the photo is small. It appeared to be a girl, now that I zoom in, I see I was mistaken.

As for that person, shame on them for promoting a murderer. I hope the court hands down a harsh sentence.

As for that person, shame on them for promoting a murderer. I hope the court hands down a harsh sentence.
I agree. In my opinion, Yamagami's mother was so stupid as to dedicate her family's money to the Unification Church endlessly but Yamagami thought that it was Abe's fault because Abe was supported by the church in elections. As Yamagami has changed Japan's history, some people think he is a hero.

In the film, I noticed a reference to the Kempeitai. When we lived in Tokyo after the war, 1947 to 1950, we knew a few Japanese families very well; one family's father told us that he had been a machine gunner during the war and had been home on leave visiting his family and had told them that as far as he could tell, the war was lost. Unknown to the family, a member of the Kempeitai had crawled up under their house and was listening to what he was saying. He was arrested, charged with "making unpatriotic statements", and sent to prison until the war ended- which probably saved his life.

View: https://youtu.be/QUqYEmZTXuw

Here are Japanese audiences' opinions to watch the DVD "Letters From Iwo Jima" recently.
Comments are translated by Google Translation.

Letters_from_Iwo-jima_opinion.JPG

Here are Japanese audiences' opinions to watch the DVD "Letters From Iwo Jima" recently.
Comments are translated by Google Translation.

View attachment 729003
Interesting, thank you. As far as the remark about Admiral Yamamoto is concerned, I don't think he is generally disliked by Americans. After all, he was not the one who was ultimately responsible; it was the War Cabinet who issued orders. Yamamoto was a very competent strategist and when he was lost it was a great blow to Japan. It is difficult to dislike an honorable opponent.

Admiral Yamamoto is not a villain. He was a military commander tasked with developing a solution for his superior's overall plan.

He tried in vain to convince those superiors that it was not a good idea to attack Pearl Harbor, but his words fell on deaf ears.

His plan of attack was sound and the execution of the attack (though flawed by Nagumo's hesitancy regarding the third wave and the unfortunate delay by the diplomatic mission's declaration) was near perfect to his plan.

He was one commander that Japan could ill afford to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back