Japan and Japanese (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This may be what I would like to know, Thomas, because the Japanese business adviser in video looks simply trying to immitate what the western people do with his unnatural smile. Thanks. Yes, anything goes case by case

These are very subtle behavior traits. Smiling can be overdone to the point of projecting an air of dis ingenuousness. People are quick to recognize insincerity.

One of the problems of this type of recruiting interview- as I see it-is its rigidity. Focusing on a potential recruit's conformance to a standard of behavior rather than on their talent and skill that they can contribute to the company is short- sited. This is not something confined to Japanese companies. Too many interviews are conducted by "human resources" people who know little about the requirements of the job that the individual is being considered for.

You are understanding Japan and Japanese very well, Neil. I am much impressed.

In the case of interview with a non-Japanese company in Japan. This is a different world as it would be impossible for the 90% Japanese companies to handle job seekers like this because this system is almost derailing from tradition.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLCMMyphPhY&t=62s

And that especially applies when a company outsources the recruitment to companies where the persons making the decisions have absolutely no idea of what the job actually involves using a job description created by someone who likewise has never carried out the tasks that the job entails.

An interesting experience with a training session at Eastman Kodak, Rochester, New York, occurred winter 1986. We were to learn to service the Ektachem 700 blood analyser. Along with service reps from around the U.S., were two men from Japan where the E700 was to be introduced. The Japanese men were the head of Negase, the company that would market the Ektachem in Japan, and the Tokyo Negase district manager. Some of the U.S. students were surprised at their ages and high positions of the Japanese men. In my very limited understanding of the Japanese system, I commented although they may never make service calls themselves, they would be expected to know everything the employees who serviced the equipment would know. The very first day, heavy snow and wind, as we walked into the classroom, the two Japanese students were there early, standing as a receiving line, erect with a very slight head bow. Their "Good Morning"s were received by a line of us covered with snow, a cup of coffee, and a partially open overcoat, and a series of "Mornin". The rest of the six weeks, we always found them already at their instrument when we arrived.
Another interesting social custom I noticed during trouble shooting sessions, the younger man, if he found the "bug" first, would lead his senior to the problem to allow him to find it first.
Another interesting social thing was, as we (two men to a machine) would trouble shoot our individual problems separated by only a divider from the other teams, the discussions could get loud. On occasion when the Japanese language was loud, my lab partner would say "What?", and the two Japanese men in the next cubicle would then speak very quietly.
These two men were very impressive, especially as they told us they had learned English for only six months before coming to the U.S.

Interesting story, ed. Thanks.
I knew how to be promoted in Sumitomo but looked unfriendly to my boss unlike those two smart 'IJA' men.
I was too honest.

The Japanese impression of western- particularly American culture- is interesting. When I worked for the American electronics company Burr-Brown Corporation, we had a main sales office in Atsugi. It was managed and staffed by well-qualified Japanese who moved quite well in each culture and we were very successful.

Users who are viewing this thread