Japan and Japanese

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shinpachi-san, any recent news on the discovery of 7,000 new islands around Japan during the latest geographic survey?
Japan has more than 14,000 islands, digital mapping reveals

This was not a big news then in last February as the counting had only been updated according to the new technologies.

"Thanks to digital mapping technology, Japanese geographers have identified more than 7,000 islands previously unrecognized in the country's waters.

The first such survey in 35 years revealed that the nation is made up of 14,125 islands rather than 6,852, as previously thought, according to a source familiar with the matter.

The Geospatial Information Authority of Japan (GSI) will soon publish the findings of the study.

The findings, however, will not redraw Japanese borders as relevant areas have been under the close watch of another government team.

The Japanese archipelago comprises four main islands, several hundred smaller populated islands and many more uninhabited islets.

The United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea defines an island as a "naturally formed area of land, surrounded by water, which is above water at high tide."

In the last survey released in 1987, geographers counted islands with a coastline of 100 meters or longer on paper maps, according to the Japan Coast Guard, the author of the survey.

The previous study contained several inaccuracies, including smaller islands being omitted or a group of islands being recorded as one. Accurate maps were not available for some areas in the first place.

This time, the islands were counted by a computer with digitized maps created by the GSI."

A wandered Japanese in China.

Yasufumi Minowa was a popular Japanese actor in Hong Kong till 1997 when the island was returned to China.
After that, he worked in the mainland. Everything looked good but, in early this year, he criticized CCP in the local SNS without deep thoughts.
His popularity fell down immediately to lose job. It took half a year for him to understand that he was banned job there forever.
He is now back in Japan and spends happy days with his Japanese bride.

Single Yasuhumi who was curious about Chinese beauty in China.
He looked awkward.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZuc_x-RW0A&t=113s

Last edited:
One of the most popular Japanese comedians, Kenji Tamura (50), quits his job to live in the US this month.
He says he has been fascinated with the greatness of Grand Canyon a few years before and decided to live in the US for his second life.
We miss him but wish his good health there.

View attachment 719272
Photo: たむけん "50歳引退"撤回 来年5月渡米で新事業「芸人辞めなくてもやりたいことできる」 - スポニチ Sponichi Annex 芸能
This is YouTube video but I watch him on TV as ever even now. He reports his life in the US.
He earned a lot in Japan and will be richer with TV job to make his life in the US stabler. He is a person of success for sure.

Purchasing a Tesla. He is frustrated to be asked making mosaics a lot

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeDw9O_qjVU

Architect Fumio Suda in the US.
He is my high school classmate. Kids who were interested in learning English and, if their families were rich enough to send their kids to overseas, they wanted to study in the US at the time. I wanted it too, of course. He was already a good English speaker even at 16 but I think that he could have been richer if he had worked in Japan as he graduated from Japan's top class university, Tokyo University.

His work

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX8qo3yo73o

He is my high school classmate. Kids who were interested in learning English and, if their families were rich enough to send their kids to overseas, they wanted to study in the US at the time. I wanted it too, of course. He was already a good English speaker even at 16 but I think that he could have been richer if he had worked in Japan as he graduated from Japan's top class university, Tokyo University.

His work

Interesting! I even can't remember their [my elementary classmates, I mean] names!!!

I remember a few from Army High School, maybe 6 or 7 [out of 130].

His work

"...Japan's top class university, Tokyo University."

Waseda may dispute that. :)

One of my classmates of the elementary school served as the president of Fuji Xerox Corp, one of the leading companies in Japan.
I don't think he was a very bright pupil but a graduate of the Gakushuin University.
Many of them also work for the Imperial Household Agency but their job is always so slow and pointless IMO.
This society is not fair.

Princess Kako quit the Gakushuin University nine years ago for unknown reason.
She and her sister Mako in NYC are finally graduates of ICU - International Christian University in Tokyo.
Ongoing controversy is that their brother Prince Hisahito may go to Tokyo University as the next Emperor of Japan.
They may be reformers of the tradition.

Princess Kako in 2014
Princess_Kako_2014.jpg

Prince Hisahito in 2023
Prince_Hisahito_2023.jpg

I hear that the JSDF Defense Academy is similar to the Gakushuin University except students' family lineage.
Ask this guy, Masahisa Sato, about the Pacific War or the Sino-Japanese War or Russo-Japanese War in the history as a graduate of the academy.
I don't think that he can answer well as long as listening to his comments as a politician. He does not know that his discovery in politics is usually common knowledge for the people.

Masahisa Sato
800px-Masahisa_Satō_in_2019.jpg

I hear that the JSDF Defense Academy is similar to the Gakushuin University except students' family lineage.
Ask this guy, Masahisa Sato, about the Pacific War or the Sino-Japanese War or Russo-Japanese War in the history as a graduate of the academy.
I don't think that he can answer well as long as listening to his comments as a politician. He does not know that his discovery in politics is usually common knowledge for the people.

Masahisa Sato
View attachment 746467
That is not good. Japan, as well as the rest of the world needs informed leaders if they are to avoid repeating mistakes of the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back