Japan and Japanese (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They are commanders of the auxiliary units aka JSDF for the US Forces.
Excellent manpower don't go to such an academy.

I still believe that best leaders for high positions, are those either have served within armed forces, or have some kind of being traditionally and/or exceptionally famous in a particular field, like medicine, art or speech.

This is usually what dumb guys do, for example -

"When self-defense personnel use their base toilet, the toilet paper must be purchased on their own.
An author of the web media "Daily SPA" introduced a real incredible story about JGSDF and, in November 2018, this was questioned in the Diet...."

This incident happned when the JGSDF headquarters in Tokyo did not allow local commanders to purchase toilet papers directly but the headquarter delivered each time on request from Tokyo in order to save the budget. Personnel suffered from daily shortage and were obliged to purchase toilet papers by themselves at drug stores nearby. I don't hear if this has been improved but remember even a JMSDF staff laughed at it as JMSDF's sytem is local procurement, of course.

Last edited:
The toilet paper shortage issue was solved in 2019 by increasing budget for the fiscal year 2020.

The Origin of Japanese Pacifism beside the Constitution
- by Rie Ogasawara of Daily SPA dated June 29, 2019

"After defeat in the war in 1945, our country was ruled by GHQ for 6 years, 7 months and 28 days. During this time, various rights such as administrative and diplomatic rights were restricted and the former Japanese military was disbanded. Newspapers had their articles censored and were prohibited from reporting on crimes such as looting and rape that occurred under the occupation. When we lost a war, we lost the ability to produce and transport food and daily necessities and the common people found themselves in poverty due to attacks by enemy countries. That's what the Japanese thought right after the end of the war.

However, under the occupation, a propaganda plan called WGIP (War Guilt Information Program) was thoroughly implemented to instill a sense of war guilt deep into the hearts of the Japanese people. The analysis of Atsushi Eto's "Closed Linguistic Space: Occupation Force Censorship and Postwar Japan" (published in 1989) is an accurate representative book on WGIP. WGIP repeatedly portrayed the idea that wars were caused by "Japanese militarists" going out of control and that the Japanese people were the victims.

As a result, the war between Japan and the Allied Powers had been replaced by a battle between "the militarists and the people" which did not actually exist. The Japanese people's dissatisfaction would never be directed against the United States again but only against the "militarists" to achieve the destruction of old order.

Even when a missile is launched from North Korea to put people's lives and property at risk, Japanese media reports that this is our government's fault. If there is a missile launch from a foreign country, there should be a report of protest against such a country that fired the missile. In Japan, as the idea of WGIP still remains deeply, there are protests agaist our government. As a result of being taught that the state may be the enemy for the people, some people even hate the national flag and anthem. This is so strongly imprinted that even the right of national self-defense feels like a dangerous ideology. Arguments such as "If the Constitution is amended, the Self-Defense Forces will begin a war" is exactly the propaganda of the time.

A new era, Reiwa, has begun. The situation is unstable with the coast guard veseels from a neighboring country with ambitions appearing near our territorial waters every day. Whenever Japan attempts to acquire the necessary defense capabilities for self-defense, there will always be strong opposition. Even now, the curse of WGIP planted by GHQ remains strong. However, 70 years have passed since the end of the war. Come on, people, you have to wake up. With the arrival of the Abe administration, this movement has finally begun in school textbooks!"

Abe has gone.

Hmmm. I'm beginning to see a pattern.
The propaganda campaign to induce a sense of collective guilt can be witnessed in the climate debate, as well as the notion that national pride is a form of oppression.
It's nice you and Artesh are able to post these things. If I did the censors would shut me down.

Thanks for summarizing well, Greg. I totally agree with you.

The origin of Imperial Japanese Army was volunteer rebels with high morale.
JSDF is an artificially organized military, say, like a colonial army.
As far as I observed for decades, it would be impossible for them to fight like old IJA at least.

Origin of IJA

It's both good and bad! I believe no side was inocent in any war throughout history. All sides, even pretended to be "civilians" have committed some kind of treason or war crime, or in more general, crimes, noone can deny it. At least on a white-Black or 0-1 scale, all are guilty, but no one is fined!

For example, there are reports of rape and theft during sieges of Sevastopol, Leningrad and Stalingrad, by soviet citizens, in soviet records. That "is not" 100 percent truth, but at least, they admitted that these things have happened and some were punished "executed" because of these.

But Americans try to deny, they talk about holocaust, but no talk about Armenian genocide by Ottomans, they talk about Ashweitz, but no mention of what they did at Dachau! They show Hitler as a lunatic, but won't talk about burning a city, alive [Dresden, in Germany, atomic bombs in Japan].

Have you ever heard any US serviceman being executed/ prisoned for theft or rape, from ww1 all way to modern conflicts? I never heard, not even a single one. Instead I have heard about their rapes and thefts in Serbia and nearby areas.

That being said, I don't mean every single person in "a" is satan or angel, unlike what many might think, but a mix of both.

There are dozens of noble and just soldiers on both sides, that are forgotten.

"However, under the occupation, a propaganda plan called WGIP (War Guilt Information Program) was thoroughly implemented to instill a sense of war guilt deep into the hearts of the Japanese people. The analysis of Atsushi Eto's "Closed Linguistic Space: Occupation Force Censorship and Postwar Japan" (published in 1989) is an accurate representative book on WGIP. WGIP repeatedly portrayed the idea that wars were caused by "Japanese militarists" going out of control and that the Japanese people were the victims."

I think this is a mis-interpretation of its purpose. In reality it was a way for the ordinary Japanese people to excuse their behavior during the war and come to grips with the reality of having lost the war without losing their dignity entirely. By blaming the "militarists", they could escape blame. It was a gift to the Japanese by GHQ but it sounds as if it was misunderstood.

"But Americans try to deny, they talk about holocaust, but no talk about Armenian genocide by Ottomans, they talk about Ashweitz, but no mention of what they did at Dachau! They show Hitler as a lunatic, but won't talk about burning a city, alive [Dresden, in Germany, atomic bombs in Japan]."

The Armenian genocide is recognized by Americans (at least by those who have read a book) but the Armenian community in the US is small so that it is not often discussed . The Jewish population here is far larger so it should not be a surprise that it is far better known.

Dachau was a concentration camp south of Munich that was overrun by the US Army and when the soldiers saw the living conditions. the human skeletons, stacks of dead not yet burned in the ovens, evidence of what had happened there they sought revenge on the German guards. It should not have happened but it did. There was not a systematic policy of reprisal against the Germans.

Yes, Hitler was portrayed as a lunatic. BFD. He was not, of course but toward the end of the Third Reich his grip on reality was tenuous. He was a powerful public speaker so it should not have surprised anyone that he could rise to power after the Weimar Republic fiasco.

Dresden was a perfectly valid military target for bombing. Rail lines, marshaling yards, and major highways ran through Dresden. In addition, the city was the point where German forces withdrawing from the Eastern Front were congregating. Hamburg was also razed by firebombing as was Tokyo. Not to mention Coventry.

Lots of hand wringing has occurred over Hiroshima and Nagasaki but it is well to remember what the alternative would have been- a US amphibious invasion of the Japanese home Islands. Had not Japan surrendered (after a hot debate in their government) the US would have landed troops on the beautiful sandy beaches of Chiba Prefecture and fought their way inland. Okinawa was an precursors of what would have happened- unimaginable casualties on both sides. The US had budgeted for 1 million casualties; the Japanese dead would have been in the tens of millions. Looking into history in detail often changes one's outlook from their first impressions.

"Have you ever heard any US serviceman being executed/ prisoned for theft or rape, from ww1 all way to modern conflicts? I never heard, not even a single one. Instead I have heard about their rapes and thefts in Serbia and nearby areas.
Yes, it has certainly happened and soldiers have been imprisoned for this inexcusable behavior. Don't fall for propaganda stories that circulate in those areas.

The ordinary Japanese people needed no more excuse for "their" behavior than the ordinary American people need/needed for their behavior in ~90% of the wars that America has participated in.

Most of the WGIP (War Guilt Information Program) was a large scale psyops/propaganda/social brainwashing program designed to orient as much anger and resentment as possible - against the established Japanese leadership/power structure - instead of against the occupiers.

Last edited:
The problem / question is not why or how these events happened, but is that are these considered as war crimes / massacres / genocides??? Has ever anyone was charged for such crimes? Or at least, crimes?

A more general thing, would be as follow:

Shooting Medical personnel and attacking Hospitals, are considered war crimes...

How many Hospitals were attacked during war? By all sides.

How many medics and doctors were killed, wounded, captured or missed during ww2 by all sides?

On the other hand, Shooting unarmed military or civilian personnel who are already surendered, is also a war crime, again, was anyone charged for this? From any side!

What about the great famine in Iran, during WW1, have it ever been discussed? Again, was anyone ever charged?

In all cases, noone was ever charged, execute nor imprisoned. The real mother whore criminals were, are and will be free forever!

Germans, Japanese, Russians, French, Arabs, Turks, even Iranians, etc, noone did anything wrong!!! I wonder who had killed all these people's and destroyed all these buildings???

You're not much difference than Arabs and Turks, in my eye, as guilty and dirty, as they are.

All these talks of losses and other things, are just night tales for babies, the truth is something else!!! The US wanted to be only hero of the war, the only one that has defeated both Germans and Japanese, but Russians were faster and captured Berlin sooner than US troops, so only place to capture was Tokyo, and they would do anything to capture it before Russians, even if it means loss of hundreds of millions of people, Japanese and American.

In anticipation of the invasion of Japan, the U.S. ordered a tremendous amount of Purple Heart medals be manufactured.
With the invasion being called off, the supply of Purple Hearts finally ran out in 2008.

As far as hospitals go, during WWII, there were several occasions where German combat Medics worked alongside American combat Medics to treat casualties of both sides.

This also occurred in North Africa with the British and Germans.

This did not happen on the Eastern front.

Users who are viewing this thread