Japan and Japanese

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mission impossible.

On December 1, according to a resident of Yakushima Island where an Osprey crashed, US Forces in Okinawa offered islanders to meet with the fishermen who helped the rescue and search for missing crew to interview on the detailed situation at the time as well as to express gratitude. On the next day, two personnels came but they could not speak Japanese. Yakushima islanders do not speak English either.

View attachment 749751
That's what we call SNAFU.
Situation Normal, All F###ed Up.

People have been calling Ospreys death traps for decades. You never hear them reevaluate their positions when months and years go by with no accidents, but then when a crash finally does occur, out they come again. It's ridiculous, really. I used to investigate accidents for the Marines back in the days of the H-46 and while MV-22s certainly have their quirks, they're a lot more survivable than their predecessors.

Japanese Osprey in the 18th Century.

A young man, Kokichi Ukita (1757-1847), was interested in flying like a bird. He studied its mechanism by himself and concluded "If I measure the weight and dimensions of a bird's wing and body, I can build wings that correspond to human body. Human could fly with it like a bird"

Applying his skills as a furniture craftsman, he made wings from bamboo frames with paper and cloth to cover and coated it with persimmon tannin to give it strength. After built some prototypes, in the summer of 1785, he jumped off a bridge over the Asahikawa river of Okayama Domain to fly or fall.

This is the point of this story,

"People who were enjoying the evening breeze on the riverbank were so panicked that he was arrested by the authority and had been deported from the domain." This may be why Japanese are nervous about Osprey .....

Japanese Osprey
koukichi-2.jpg

Last edited:
Mission impossible 2.

On June 22, 2017, by request of a U.S. veteran's family who discovered grandfather's old Japanese wooden name tags which were said to be the personal belongings of a Zero fighter pilot who crash-landed, fought and died on Niihau Island immediately after the Pearl Harbor attack, Executive Director of Pacific Aviation Museum handed them over to the pilot's younger brother who still lives in Imabari City of Ehime Prefecture.

01.jpg
02.jpg

Those wooden name tags were usually used in an office to check who was in or out there.
They have nothing to do with a Zero fighter at least.

Name tags
Name_tag.jpg

1701930286895.png

materiel failure suggests they have a potential culprit for this one at least and a buyback of other accidents may show a common link.

Then maybe they can fix the fleet

It is too easy to say crew failure and with the number of accidents crew failure just does not seem reasonable to me. Admittedly I have not researched crew qualifications on the accident aircraft but I very much doubt they were all low time crews. It is far more likely that at least one crew member was high time on most of these non combat accidents.

To me the odds of crew failure
1 accident yup can
2 accidents humm yes okee strange things happen.
3 accidents ground the plane and find out what is wrong with the thing

View attachment 750617

materiel failure suggests they have a potential culprit for this one at least and a buyback of other accidents may show a common link.

Then maybe they can fix the fleet

It is too easy to say crew failure and with the number of accidents crew failure just does not seem reasonable to me. Admittedly I have not researched crew qualifications on the accident aircraft but I very much doubt they were all low time crews. It is far more likely that at least one crew member was high time on most of these non combat accidents.

And that is a good reason to ground the fleet. And why prelim investigations are performed.

USS Howard in Yokosuka

Fire aboard the USS Howard, sending 12 crew members to Yokosuka Naval Hospital.
On December 1, 2023, a fire broke out on the missile destroyer USS Howard, which is stationed at the U.S. Navy's Yokosuka Base in Yokosuka City, Kanagawa Prefecture. According to the interview with the U.S. Navy on the 9th, 12 crew members were sent to Yokosuka Naval Hospital.

This ship reported another incident a few months ago.

USS Howard Suffered 'Soft Grounding' Near Bali Ahead of CO Removal on August 10, 2023.
Howard's commander, Cmdr. Kenji Igawa was removed from command by 7th Fleet commander Vice Adm. Karl Thomas, "due to loss of confidence in his ability to command,"

China Airlines heading from Taiwan to Takamatsu Airport lands at Kansai Airport with cracked windshield.
On December 11, according to Kansai Airport, China Airlines Flight 7760 which was headed from Kaohsiung, Taiwan to Takamatsu Airport was diverted to Kansai Airport to land at around 11 a.m. due to a mechanical problem. Airport says that there was a crack in the windshield of the aircraft.

China_Airlines_01.jpg
China_Airlines_02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back