Japan and Japanese

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

On December 14, a Su-35 from Russian aerobatic display team "Russian Knights" was confirmed flying together with a Tu-95 and some other Chinese planes in the Sea of Japan.

image-1702560260180.jpeg
image-1702559935759.jpeg

Former emperor Akihito turns 90.
December 23 is also the day Japanese class A war criminals were executed in Sugamo Prison.
This date and unexploded bombs which are unearthed some times never make Japanese people forget the war.

Young Akihito (right) with his family in 1960
image-1702983758716.jpg

Unexploded bombs/shells are becoming educational materials for the Japanese younger/future people to question who dropped and forgot them.
This is what I have noticed to read an article that a younger jounalist wrote recently.

Detonated on December 25
Okinawa_Dec_22_2023.jpg

I defused a few in the 70s in spectacular fashion - but never fragmentation bombs because they scared the hell out of me.

Clear everyone in an large radius while heaping lots of firewood on top. When the area was clear light the fire and clear out until the bomb self destructed. Most split along the bottom centreline and went vertical and landed back close to departure point - the rest did nothing, even after a second much hotter fire two days later

Electronic Advance Data (EAD).
New rule about the International Mail Service which I was missing.

"Important notification
Transmission of EAD to all destinations worldwide
Effective March 1st, 2024, EAD transmission will be mandatory for all countries/territories when sending international postal items containing dutiable articles. Postal items with handwritten labels will not be accepted because they lack EAD. The types of postal services requiring EAD transmission will also be expanded. All postal items containing dutiable articles will require transmission of EAD."

Procedure flow
flow_en.gif

Thanks MiTasol for an interesting story :)
Enlightenment video of the danger of unexploaded bombs. They are estimated 14,000 ton still left as of 2022.

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/FcKiFd_yOnM

There were many thousands of unexploded bombs, both allied and Japanese, in PNG in the 70s and often on land that the locals needed for gardens. It was not unusual for them to explode at random and injure people.

Another great danger was high pressure gas cylinders because a lot of schools used then as bells. There were several cases where 3000psi/200bar bottles ruptured killing multiple people.

Where ever i saw those bottles I always opened the valves to drain them of all pressure and whenever villagers showed me bombs that were in garden areas well clear of villages I would cook them off if possible. Ones found inside villages were reported to the kiaps for disposal but the government of the day did nothing about ones in gardens. The only Japanese bomb I cooked off had a light case and blew soon after the fire was lit spreading debris over a large area at least 100metres/yards diameter.

I was told by a kiap that he was told the American bombs split down the bottom centreline because they were laying in dirt so rust pitted there plus after 30 years in the sun and heat the nitroglycerine tended to migrate to the bottom. I do not know if this was fact but seeing all the American bombs I cooked off split that way it seems possible.

EDIT. Kiaps were government officers who patrolled the non city villages two or three time per year and acted as magistrates, mediators and many other things. Great people.

Last edited:
A latest news by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan

On May 17, 2023, in Honiara, the capital of the Solomon Islands, Yoshiaki Miwa, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Japan to the Solomon Islands, and Hon. Jeremiah Manele, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade of the Solomon Islands. External Trade of Solomon Islands) Letters were exchanged regarding the "Economic and Social Development Program" grant aid (total amount of 120 million yen) for the provision of equipment carriers for disposal of unexploded ordnance and unexploded ordnance. .

The Solomon Islands was a fierce battleground for the Allied Powers led by Japan and the United States during World War II, and even now, nearly 80 years after the end of the war, several people die every year from unexploded ordnance. doing. This cooperation will strengthen the capabilities of the country's unexploded ordnance disposal unit by providing a vessel carrying equipment for unexploded ordnance and unexploded ordnance disposal to transport unexploded ordnance found on remote islands to disposal facilities. It is expected that this will contribute to the economic and social development of the country through stabilization of the country.
At the 9th Pacific Islands Summit held in July 2021, Japan announced priority areas for assistance, including "people-to-people exchanges and human resource development" (strengthening the foundations for future-oriented relations). This cooperation also embodies this statement.

Unexploded bombs and chemical weapons left in China had been treated by Japanese government by the 1990s IIRC.

Unexploded bombs/shells are becoming educational materials for the Japanese younger/future people to question who dropped and forgot them.
This is what I have noticed to read an article that a younger jounalist wrote recently.

Detonated on December 25
View attachment 754185
This is the original article I noticed recently.

"Endless post-war cleanup: 1,500 unexploded ordnance found on the seabed where offshore wind power generators are being constructed

In the Hibikinada Sea off the coast of Wakamatsu Ward, Kitakyushu City where construction of the offshore wind power generators continues, sea mines and shells believed to be from World War II have been frequently discovered on the seabed and the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force is carrying out detonation work. It is said that there will be little influence on the construction itself but almost 1,500 unexploded mines/bombs are estimated remaining even 78 years after the war ended. There is no end for the post-war clean up....."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back