Japan and Japanese (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The 5th plane chartered by the Japanese government has left for Wuhan, China today to send the relief supplies as well as bring back the Japanese citizens who still stay there. This would be the last service as almost 800 citizens were already brought back and the quarantine facilities are full.

Last edited:
The 5th plane chartered by the Japanese government has left for Wuhan, China today to send the relief supplies as well as bring back the Japanese citizens who still stay there. This would be the last service as almost 800 citizens were already brought back and the quarantine facilities are full.

Good to see. Our media is so parochial that they only report on the ship and Australians

If I may refer to the Diamond Princess -

On October 1, 2002 when a new cruiser which was to be named the Diamond Princess was yet under construction at Mitsubishi's Nagasaki Shipyard, a suspicious fire had burnt the deck. As its repair and completion was expected much delay, another same class ship which was also under construction there as the Sapphire Princess was renamed the Diamond Princess. I now wonder if the naming was no good.

No photos without permission at a traditional area Gion (Geisya town) in Kyoto as a new rule since last October.
Frankly, I knew that residents in the central area of Kyoto were not necessarily happy to have so many visitors, especially from China, to disturb their calm life recently but now I wonder who would be happy to visit Japan itself under the situation. No more anxiety for them.

Another no photo area which exists in my neighborhood.
If Gion in Kyoto is a sunny side of Japanese Geisya culture, Tobita in my neighborhood would be the other side of it.
There are hundreds 'closed' restaurants in the daytime but, in the nighttime, this town of Tobita goes back to the 18th century of Japan.
This is no photo area. Please take care.

Attachments

• report_54_46.jpg
    report_54_46.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 85
No photos without permission at a traditional area Gion (Geisya town) in Kyoto as a new rule since last October.
Frankly, I knew that residents in the central area of Kyoto were not necessarily happy to have so many visitors, especially from China, to disturb their calm life recently but now I wonder who would be happy to visit Japan itself under the situation. No more anxiety for them.

Incredible Shinpatchi, the world is changing, but it always changed. I worked in Paris in 1990-92 and it was normal for Japanese tourists to enter a restaurant with one member using their new cine camera filming the whole group and the whole restaurant too. The Champs Elysee neat the Arc de Triomphe always had a queue of Japanese couples stood in the middle of the street stopping traffic to get "the picture". A few years ago I went with my wife to Stonehenge, there was a circle of people some taking pictures towards it, others using selfie sticks looking away from it. There were very few people actually using their eyes to look and remember and absorb the whole experience. I have no pictures of all the places I went in the world, if I had I wouldn't bore anyone with them. The Hiroshima peace park cannot be captured in a photograph, anymore than a sunrise in the Saudi Arabian desert can, or a wave crashing on sea wall, no matter how good the picture it just isn't the same. Maybe people are tired of being a photo subject all the time we should start to re use our eyes and memory.

Incredible Shinpatchi, the world is changing, but it always changed. I worked in Paris in 1990-92 and it was normal for Japanese tourists to enter a restaurant with one member using their new cine camera filming the whole group and the whole restaurant too. The Champs Elysee neat the Arc de Triomphe always had a queue of Japanese couples stood in the middle of the street stopping traffic to get "the picture". A few years ago I went with my wife to Stonehenge, there was a circle of people some taking pictures towards it, others using selfie sticks looking away from it. There were very few people actually using their eyes to look and remember and absorb the whole experience. I have no pictures of all the places I went in the world, if I had I wouldn't bore anyone with them. The Hiroshima peace park cannot be captured in a photograph, anymore than a sunrise in the Saudi Arabian desert can, or a wave crashing on sea wall, no matter how good the picture it just isn't the same. Maybe people are tired of being a photo subject all the time we should start to re use our eyes and memory.
Agreed. When I go to the Sierras( my favorite place) as you aproach the mountain range they lord over you like the almighty himself but in a picture there just little hills in the distance.

Agreed. When I go to the Sierras( my favorite place) as you aproach the mountain range they lord over you like the almighty himself but in a picture there just little hills in the distance.
I imagine it is like driving into the Alps which I have done many times, you just don't get the experience in a picture. At the other extreme, where I live is close to the North Yorkshire Moors, it is beautiful in a very pretty way in summer. But every time there is a serious peat fire in summer it exposes remains of the beaker people. Walking across it you come across ancient bronze age burial mounds. As a schoolboy I walked with a walking club across these moors and when the weather was bad sometimes we would rest and take shelter in the lee of these mounds, surrounded by the mist and rain in the presence of ancient people, you cannot capture it on a picture, all anyone sees is mist and wet heather and peat. There are a dozen or more "Sherlock Holmes" And Emily Bronte "Wuthering Heights" movies have tried to capture the atmosphere, they never do. Like captuuring a crashing wave in a storm at sea, the energy and atmosphere isnt there.

The number of infected persons of COVID-19 by the city in Japan as of February 24.

Tokyo 33
Aichi(Nagoya) 17
Osaka 1
MC wonders why it is only 1 in Osaka where tons of Chinese visit.
I also wondered and have noticed one difference though I am not sure if this is correct or not.
Osaka applies screening to all Chinese from the mainland to reject entry but other cities do it to those from Hubei (Wuhan) only because it is the basic instruction by the Japanese government.
Let's touch wood.

P2268509R.JPG

Source: ANN dated Feb 25.

Last edited:
Ordinary mannequin dolls in Japan.
Just for reference as this relates to my post in other thread Picture of the Day.
Thanks.

mannequins.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back