Japan and Japanese (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Naruhito's farewell to the Queen today.

AA11XV3J.jpg

Source: 天皇陛下、英女王にお別れ ひつぎ安置のホール弔問

Meanwhile, Japanese people are wishing the former Emperor's retired life to be calm and healthy...

Two months ago -
Japan's Emperor Emeritus Akihito Is Recovering From Heart Failure

Just a few days ago -
Emperor Emeritus undergoes cataract surgery

This is the equinoctial week.
Buddhist's "Bon" is originally in mid-August. This September is August in the lunar calendar.
Japanese have had two Bons when they adopted the solar calendar in 1872. So confusing that people try to think them separately calling it "Higan (meaning Heaven)" in September.

Chinese and Koreans don't have two because they think two calendars separately from the beginning.

Lycoris radiata - a seasonal flower for Higan in my neighborhood today
Lycoris_radiata.jpg

Last edited:
This is the equinoctial week.
Buddhist's "Bon" is originally in mid-August. This September is August in the lunar calendar.
Japanese have had two Bons when they adopted the solar calendar in 1872. So confusing that people try to think them separately calling it "Higan (meaning Heaven)" in September.

Chinese and Koreans don't have two because they think two calendars separately from the beginning.

Lycoris radiata - a seasonal flower for Higan in my neighborhood today
View attachment 688451
I have many of those in my yard. I have not known the proper name. They have been called spider lilies here.

Meanwhile, Japanese people are wishing the former Emperor's retired life to be calm and healthy...

Two months ago -
Japan's Emperor Emeritus Akihito Is Recovering From Heart Failure

Just a few days ago -
Emperor Emeritus undergoes cataract surgery
When we lived in Japan , 1947 to 1950, I was in 5th grade in Grant Heights, in Narimasu, on the edge of Tokyo. Somehow, along with 4 or 5 other American kids, I was picked to meet Crown Prince Akihito in the palace square. My parents were aware of the custom of presenting small gifts so they wrapped a book in tissue paper tied with a ribbon for me to present to the Crown Prince. I met Akihito and presented my small gift which was taken by one of his officials and the Crown Prince thanked me. A few days after that meeting, we received the book- still wrapped- and a typewritten letter from a palace official thanking me for the gift but explaining that the royal family was not permitted to receive gifts. It was signed by a government minister. I still have that letter here somewhere.

Hirohito rode a beautiful white horse in parades and ceremonies. This is my father, Lt Col C C Albaugh holding the halter of the Emporer's horse, First Snow. The second photo is the palace groom with First Snow and the emperor's second horse, First Frost. The Imperial stables are in the background. This was in the Imperial Palace in Tokyo in 1948.

Attachments

• 0040 First Snow- Emperor's Horse.jpg
    0040 First Snow- Emperor's Horse.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 0042 Emperor's Horse.jpg
    0042 Emperor's Horse.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
When we lived in Japan , 1947 to 1950, I was in 5th grade in Grant Heights, in Narimasu, on the edge of Tokyo. Somehow, along with 4 or 5 other American kids, I was picked to meet Crown Prince Akihito in the palace square. My parents were aware of the custom of presenting small gifts so they wrapped a book in tissue paper tied with a ribbon for me to present to the Crown Prince. I met Akihito and presented my small gift which was taken by one of his officials and the Crown Prince thanked me. A few days after that meeting, we received the book- still wrapped- and a typewritten letter from a palace official thanking me for the gift but explaining that the royal family was not permitted to receive gifts. It was signed by a government minister. I still have that letter here somewhere.
Thanks for sharing an awesome story, manta. That is a great experience in the palace for sure :thumbright:

AMERICAN SCHOOL IN TOKYO
by Elizabeth Gray Vining

Site Ed. Note: The following is an excerpt from Elizabeth Gray Vining's account of her experience as a tutor to young Crown Prince Akihito, his sisters, and his classmates, 1946-1950. Here she describes a visit by the prince and his classmates to an elementary school for American chidren in Washington Heights, one of the enclaves in Tokyo for members of the Occupation. Later, a return visit was paid by a group of American students to Akihito's middle school.....

Interesting contents but I know little about the education system in the palace to comment and compare with the American one.
That is still a sanctuary.

AMERICAN SCHOOL IN TOKYO
by Elizabeth Gray Vining

Site Ed. Note: The following is an excerpt from Elizabeth Gray Vining's account of her experience as a tutor to young Crown Prince Akihito, his sisters, and his classmates, 1946-1950. Here she describes a visit by the prince and his classmates to an elementary school for American chidren in Washington Heights, one of the enclaves in Tokyo for members of the Occupation. Later, a return visit was paid by a group of American students to Akihito's middle school.....

Interesting contents but I know little about the education system in the palace to comment and compare with the American one.
That is still a sanctuary.
Thank you so much for that article. I wonder if I was one of the boys in that visit?

I found a copy of Elizabeth Vining's book and bought it . I am anxious to read it. Thank you for telling me about it.
My pleasure, manta.
I think that I found Mrs, Vining's influence when Akihito made up his mind for abdication as Emperor unprecedentedly in 1988. His explanation was logical enough to persuade his people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back