Japan and Japanese (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I do not believe that the faults my father or grandfather etc is mine, nor do i believe this guilt should be carried over to other generations. I will chear the german football team as long as the do not play holland.
However history must be written true. That is what makes it science. Even when the history is very ugly.

Absolutely completely and totally agree.

Former President of Taiwan Li Deng-hui (Japanese name Masao Iwasato: 1923-2020) once said "What a leader is requested by the people are generousity and good paience." Not logic.

Li Deng-hui
Li_Deng-hui.jpg

Source: Wiki

When I was a kid, adults used to say "If I had a chance to meet a German, I would say 'Let's do it again together but without Italians next time'."
When I met a German merchant in Korea, I talked him this story and asked "What if I asked you same?". He said "No more but I don't like Americans."
My experience of old days.

When I was a kid, adults used to say "If I had a chance to meet a German, I would say 'Let's do it again together but without Italians next time'."

I think the German kid would have said the same.

When I met a German merchant in Korea, I talked him this story and asked "What if I asked you same?". He said "No more but I don't like Americans."

Does not surprise me. The Germans lost the war, and for many of the older Germans the worst part was probably the fact that they lost. The difference is the German's came to terms with it.

The German's did not get over half ass, and their leaders allowed to remain in power so as to not "insult them." Germany was not allowed to SYSTEMICALLY deny and pretend it never happened. German politicians by large do not openly deny the holocaust. German schools do not erase the holocaust from their books.

Enough of this from me, though. We have beaten this to a dead horse. Obvious cultural differences here…

I once worked with a nice German lady. She had married a GI and moved to the States.
She told me about the first time she brought her future husband home to meet the family.
Her grandfather, a WW2 vet, looked him up and down, said: "An American? I haven't had to kill an American in a long time."

Thanks everyone for many good posts.
I clearly, or clearler, understand the difference between Germany and Japan about not only culture but geopolitics.
80-year would be enough for anyone to say "We are not so ugly as you have defined", isn't it?
My Taiwanese friend once said "Continental communists are trying to change people's human nature to control but, once changed, they are not humans anymore."
We are humans.

Thanks everyone for many good posts.
I clearly, or clearler, understand the difference between Germany and Japan about not only culture but geopolitics.
80-year would be enough for anyone to say "We are not so ugly as you have defined", isn't it?
My Taiwanese friend once said "Continental communists are trying to change people's human nature to control but, once changed, they are not humans anymore."
We are humans.

Shinpachi, my friend, no one places any blame on your countries post war generations, or the great country of Japan that has risen from the ashes. I just don't care for the people trying to re-write, sugar coat, or erase the history as it happened. How will future generations learn from it?

That goes for all places. There are people in my country that want to pretend history did not happen. To just erase it.

There is not a nation that has not had its own terrible and dark period in its history. Not a single one. Mine included, both the United States and Germany (obviously).

Japan keeps tons of historical records since the ancient times.
Point will be how the future generations read them, case by case.

Shinpachi, my friend, no one places any blame on your countries post war generations, or the great country of Japan that has risen from the ashes. I just don't care for the people trying to re-write, sugar coat, or erase the history as it happened. How will future generations learn from it?

That goes for all places. There are people in my country that want to pretend history did not happen. To just erase it.

There is not a nation that has not had its own terrible and dark period in its history. Not a single one. Mine included, both the United States and Germany (obviously).
This may be a good opportunity to ask, Chris.

1. What if Nazi won the war.
2. What if the US lost the war.

Would the people regret what they did?

This may be a good opportunity to ask, Chris.

1. What if Nazi won the war.
2. What if the US lost the war.

Would the people regret what they did?

Good question.

I think initially, no, the German people would not have regretted it (at least not openly). Why?

They won the war. Life is good. Why complain. Besides, the Nazis would still be in power, you don't want to upset them.

Now, in their own conscious, I think so. Why? How can any human being not be appalled by what happened?

I do think, like with every nation, as it evolves , peoples beliefs change, and I think the overall sentiment of the nation would have changed. Look at the US. Do you really think too many people cared that slaves were being kept in 1865? Probably not the majority. But as time went on, peoples attitudes have changed. Now the majority likely realize it was not a very humane and just thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

• A4K
Back