Japan and Japanese (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

On April 12, 13 Sumo wrestlers from Mongolia visited the graves of ancient 5 Mongolian envoys who visted Japan to urge Japan surrender in 1275. Japan refused and killed all of them. Wrestler Teruno-fuji(original name: антулгын Ган-Эрдэнэ) says "Thanks to their historical contribution because we had a chance to know and visit Japan. We will work for the friendship between two countries."

BB1lw6fs.jpg

Joritsu-ji_常立寺.jpg

Last edited:
I like the last two posts very much.
Thanks, Evan :)
The grenade was made of ceramic and contained black powder mixed with iron and copper pieces.
Sumo is a common culture between Japan, Mongolia and Korea.

Mongolian "Sumo"
Sumo_Mongol.jpg

There used to be the biggest Great Buddha statue in Kyoto, bigger than another one in Nara, in the 17th century but had been destroyed by an earthquake.
How did it look like? A miniature prototype model made prior to building still tells it.

1F-1_20151010.jpg
1F-1_20151010-02.jpg
02.jpg
01.jpg

Source: 光琳と同時代の彫刻 | Kyoto National Museum

The statue was recasted into coins later.
Kaneitsuho.jpg

My Aunt had a pair of traditional Geisha dolls each in handmade display cases, the wood portions of the case being ornate and hand-carved complete with a black lacquered finish.

The detail of the two girls were amazing, down to real eyelashes.

The dolls were about 20 inches tall each, the cases they were in, were over two feet tall.

After my Aunt passed away, they disappeared, sadly. :(

What a shame they are lost Dave.
Indeed.

They were given to my Aunt by my Uncle Bill, who had recieved them as a gift in the 1950's. Aparently, they were created in the 1920's or early 30's.

My Uncle Bill also happened to be one of the very few family members lost in combat over the past 200+ years. He was lost in Vietnam.

So the Dolls not only had aesthetic value for me, but a connection to family members.

A good family story, Dave :thumbright:

Monk Cyougen in Shunjō-dō, Nara. 12th century.
Monk_Tyougen.jpg

Nankoh father and son. 19th century.
Used as display in the festival of Nagasaki many times.
01.jpg

View: https://twitter.com/ngs_rekibun/status/1177045233025961984/photo/1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back