Japanese Aircraft Performance

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Man are you patient

I spent just over an hour there and did not find a thing (except a TAIC report you had already posted)

Yeah I have a few hours in there LOL, I found some other stuff that might be of interest. I just have not had the time as of late to work on them.

Paul - perhaps you might be able to find these two docuents (bolded in the quoted text)?

TAIC reports on the preliminary flight evaluations of the N1K1-J and the J2M3 aircraft which were captured in the Philippines, repaired by the Technical Air Intelligence Unit at Clark Field, and flown briefly by an Allied pilot do exist.

The report on the N1K1-J (S 7) is in TAIC Summary No. 33, July 1945. The report on the J2M3 (S 12) is in TAIC Summary No. 34, August 1945.

No similar report by the same TAI unit on the preliminary flight of the Ki-84s captured in the Philippines was published. A report about the flights of the Ki-84s (S 10 and S 17) was probably being prepared for future publication by the Technical Air Intelligence Center when the end of the war put an end to the publishing of any further TAIC Summary Reports.

A couple of Ki-84 aircraft got shipped to Wright Field's T-2 staff organization at the end of the war. One of these planes (AAF Serial Number T2-302) was studied and test flown under Project No. NAD-25. Some reports were written, of which I have a copy in Japanese of Interim Report No. 2, Ki-84 I Frank Pilot's Handbook and a copy in English of Interim Report No. 3, entitled Excerpts from T-2 Report on Frank-1 (Ki-84).

Interim Report No. 2 is 19 pages long and in the Japanese language with some English mixed in. Portions of the text are Katakana renditions of English words. I do not have a copy of the original report in English. The Japanese version is a translation of the Wright Field report. It is available on a Japanese website called War Birds by Ishibashi. Here's the link:

http://www.warbirds.jp/siryo/frank.htm to the Japanese version

And here is the link to a Google automatic translation to English:

Google Translate
http://translate.google.com/transla.../siryo/frank.htm&langpair=ja|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Tomo, I have been looking now for a while and can not find anything on those two but will keep an eye out for them.

All the best
Paul

Thank you, Paul. Take your time, I look forward to anything you will provide when possible.

Here is something I found and put into a PDF today.
It is the report on the Nakajima Ki 84 Hayate that was overhauled and tested at Middletown Air Technical Service Command.
I don't believe I have seen this posted here before, so enjoy!

- Ivan.

Attachments

• Ki 84 Middletown Test.pdf
    53.9 MB · Views: 963
Here is something I found and put into a PDF today.
It is the report on the Nakajima Ki 84 Hayate that was overhauled and tested at Middletown Air Technical Service Command.
I don't believe I have seen this posted here before, so enjoy!

- Ivan.

I am so glad someone scanned this file before the photographs deteriorated any further. I have only glanced at the text but I will read it in full very soon as I noted several interesting comments like the "British rudder pedals".

Thanks you for posting this gem

Here is another related report.
T-2 Report on Ki 84 (Interim Report No.3)
The evaluations against the P-51H and P-47N are particularly interesting.

I actually found this a couple days ago but did not have a chance to put it into a PDF until now.
Hope you all enjoy reading.

- Ivan.

Attachments

• Ki84 Interim Report No3.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 573
How in the world did they get 1970hp out of 2185CID only weighing 1800#??

Inline engines get similar power levels with less displacement but if you take into account the weight of the cooling system, obviously the advantage goes to the Homare engine. Maybe it had something to do with it running at a higher RPM than typical for a radial of this size.
Just speculating. I am no expert on engines.

It makes you wonder how far they could have gotten if they actually had good quality fuel.

- Ivan.

How in the world did they get 1970hp out of 2185CID only weighing 1800#??

3000 rpm + 2185 cu in + use of water/methanol injection to increase manifold pressure + S/C in low gear + low altitude. Without water injection power was around 1800 HP.
We can note that V12 engines of 1945 were also making 1800-2200 HP while weighing less than 1800 lbs, like the Merlin, DB 605 or V-1710.Figures of 2000-2200 HP were attained via use of 145-150 grade fuel and/or water injection.

Inline engines get similar power levels with less displacement but if you take into account the weight of the cooling system, obviously the advantage goes to the Homare engine. Maybe it had something to do with it running at a higher RPM than typical for a radial of this size.
Just speculating. I am no expert on engines.

It makes you wonder how far they could have gotten if they actually had good quality fuel.

- Ivan.
The problem with "good quality fuel" is that it may allow more boost/power than the engine can handle.

Unless you use really exotic metals an engine of a certain size and weight is only going to be so strong. Using good quality fuel to raise the BMEP/power means more stress and shorter engine life at best and blown engines at worst.
An air force (like the Japanese) may be pushed into a corner where short engine life is accepted in order to get decent performance but in less desperate times such a policy is not a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back