Japanese green cross aircraft,pics and story.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice article, but the "Christian Cross" is not correct. The shape of a cross was one of the only icons not used by a national entity during the PTO and could not be mistaken for any other nationality.

Also, the crosses may have been green to a certain degree, but they were more black (or actually black in some cases) than green.

Yes there is a debate still raging over this. Interesting that the eyewitness at Le Shima in the article quotes it as green, so for me the question is this: Was he informed previous to their landing how they were going to be painted? Seems unlikely to this arm-chair general, but who knows how scuttlebutt was passed. And the second question is: Could pre-knowledge of how the "should" have been painted, prejudgest him against what he actually saw? O's Razor, the simplest answer to me is the film has aged to give the appearance of black, but that the crosses where infact green, or there abouts.

One interesting note: I always painted the anti-glare strip infront of US WWII fighters black, when in fact they were mostly olive drab!

I don't think anyone that ever actually laid eyes on them has ever called them black ...
Actually, Shinpachi has mentioned that the crews that painted them were being a little "defiant"...

As far as fading is concerned, look at the color photos and you'll notice that the olive drab dungarees the GIs are wearing still has green coloration.

*edit* here's the conversation regarding the black instead of green: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-markings-camouflage/green-cross-bear-39937.html#post1097496

Last edited:
One of my GB12 entries.

Hadn't seen all of them in one place before.

Attachments

• NZ Zero Fini x.jpg
    NZ Zero Fini x.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 259
Reading this paragraph, there's wiggle room for all eventualities:

'The flight of these two Bettys became known as the Green Cross flights and the technique became the standard operating procedure for Japanese aircraft carrying envoys for surrender across the remnants of the Japanese empire for the next month. The only Japanese aircraft flying unmolested had to be approved and had to cover their old markings with the approved Green Cross standards. Not every aircraft complied with every detail of the specified paint scheme; not every aircraft was painted white nor every cross painted green, but scores of these surrender aircraft brought about the end of the killing and suffering and the beginning of the healing.'

that is the first time i have seen that...how i missed it before i dont know. but very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back