I get the point - I was just pointing out what was still in use on the battlefield. Spit VB was around for a while, and for reasons I don't understand some pilots actually said they preferred them over the VC. Of course VC had different configurations. The Spit V more broadly remained in use for a really long time.
Tomahawks I think were pretty good with their (nose mounted) .50 cal armament as guns go, the early Kittyhawks though were a bit of a problem.
That said, one comment on machine guns in general - all machine guns jam. It's just a matter of how often. Upthread someone posted a ratio of 1/500 rounds for a P-51 (wing mounted) and 1/5000 rounds for a P-38 (nose mounted), I forget for what time periods, but that gives you some idea of the range of probability of an issue. This was one of the reasons why multiple guns were needed.
In 1942 a lot of fighters were flying around that had a high likelihood of a series of gun stoppages / jams in almost any fight, gradually that improved to the point where you might expect to have some of your guns still working by the time you ran out of ammunition. If you used them properly (didn't fire overly long bursts, resisted the urge to shoot wing guns while in high G turns etc.)
You could push your luck of course and get a few rounds out but then it might stop shooting. Some guns could also be cleared after a jam, especially those nose mounted guns which had gun chargers protruding into the cockpit
Others had electric chargers that may or may not work (more likely generally speaking over time and when maintenance standards were good).