Jerry Yellin, WWII veteran

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mikewint

Captain
Feb 17, 2010
Lakeview, AR
Worth your time if you have not seen. Quite a guy.
The Last Fighter Pilot of WWII who flew the last mission .​
Take five minutes to watch this video interview. It takes place on Iwo Jima.​
Listen carefully to what he says and how he says it. You won't regret a second of it.​
Ask yourself, how many of the few surviving WWII veterans kept​
themselves and their uniform in such good condition for over 70​
years and can still proudly wear it?​
Notice his superb delivery, no teleprompter, no script -- Just a​
91-year-old fighter pilot representing the greatest generation at​
home and abroad who won WWII.​
He has some surprises and a great take on the philosophy of life.​

Jerry Yellin, World War II Veteran Interview

If I can be so lucid, upstanding, smart in appearance and bearing, if I am blessed to live that long, then I will pass on with a smile and the grateful thanks for the generation that allowed me to live in peace and freedom for that period.

GO, CAPTAIN YELLIN!!!!!

I love it. At the beginning of the interview, he even says "Army Air Corps." None of that "Army Air Forces" nonsense. That was for shuttle and ferry pilots. :D

For anyone not familiar, there is an ongoing issue about people saying "Army Air Corps," for any time after 20 June 1941, when Army Air Forces officially became the name of the Army's air arm. However, "Air Corps" was universally used to refer to the combat arm, in the same way the terms infantry, artillery, and armor were used for ground forces. Most fighter and bomber pilots and crews, back in the day, referred to themselves as being in the Air Corps. There are even TONS of official documents, where "<Rank>, Army Air Corps" was placed under the writers' official signatures. As it says in Wikipedia, "The Air Corps ceased to have an administrative structure after 9 March 1942, but as "the permanent statutory organization of the air arm, and the principal component of the Army Air Forces," the overwhelming majority of personnel assigned to the AAF were members of the Air Corps." The US Army Air Corps was only officially abolished when the US Air Force was created, on 18 September 1947. So, good for you, Captain! Represent! :pilotsalute:

Unfortunately, we lost Jerry just before Christmas, 2017. He lived in Orlando, FL, just over an hour from me. I only wish I would have had the chance to meet him.

-Irish

Last edited:
we lost Jerry just before Christmas, 2017
I did not know that, Just came across the interview and was very impressed

Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine,
et lux perpetua luceat ei .
Requiescat in pace.
icon_salute_proper.gif
halfmast.gif
icon_salute_proper.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back